breaking in the new horses (coomera)

mick fillet

For along time now i have been wanting to upgrade to a bigger motor for the tinnie just for that little bit more grunt(and fun).For along time now i have had my eye on the Tohatsu 25hp 2 banger,main reason is there a jap engine,the motor is proped to hit 6000rpm unlike 5800 in some other outboard makes,there lighter than there compeditors and the Tohatsu is a 429cc engine which is 30cc more than the 25 mercury and 35cc bigger than a 25hp yammie.

I got the new motor on thursday day from neptine marine at slacks creek,although they were not attending this years boat show they still had show specails to compete with other dealerships.In the endI got the tohey $790 cheaperthan a Yammie and $660 cheaper than a murcury at the show prices as i previously rang the dealership who would be at this years boat show to see if was worth going in and striking a deal.

Friday morning I was up nice and early and i headed for the lake in the coomera and arrived there about 5:30am and started the run in process for the engine.A few hours later trolling around the island between the half throtle runs up n down the river/lake i saw a boat with 2 blokes in it and they saw me. One of the blokes had a AFO tourny shirt on (they stand out) it was afo user name"On-line" and his mate.I wasnt wearing my tourny shirt on fri it was dirty and still in a bucket in the ute from tuesdays efforts but i wai anafo shirt.If it wasnt for the stand out AFO shirts I dont reckon each others attention would have been drawn to each other,any way we ended up havin a chat always good to meet new faces.

The flatties were on fire right on the low tide.I got 5 down near the shoals trolling and 4 off that sand pointcomes off the down river side of grogan island where the geese hang out. there has been good numbers of little trevs in the lake and it has had for a while.But there now starting to get a bit more size about them now pushing the 40cm-45cm models.I failed to hook up trolling micro mullets around but fellow Bfoérs On-line and his mate were getting smashed on soft plastics failing to stay conected,so its worth while working the hump in the ATM.A few sharks living in the lake ATM aswell and they look like fairly good size ones too.

PFFFT any way back to the motor-Iam really happy with the new tohatsu I have run it in to 3/4 throtle putting about 7-8 hrs on it. I did give it a bust of full throtle I just couldnt help my self and WOW!!!! :woohoo: It pulls harder than a school boy hitting 50 clicks(km) instantly holding it on over a 50 mtr run i didnt wana push its limits to early in the run in stage. how ever i did get a bit of spay coming up so i reckon i might have to lift it a tiny bit on the transom.other than that i likr it and it handles great.

cheers mick

post-5342-144598668437_thumb.jpg

hell yeah :woohoo: hell of an upgrade there for the lil tinnie.. a few nice flatties to go with the running in B)

yeah it sorta brang back a few memorys running in another tohey on the same stretch of river.

(for those who dont know) back in the day wes and i did the same thing,... back then geez we would have been what 16-17 braking in a new tohey doin the same thing trolling and smashin flatties. crap thats when fuel was like 40c litre used to cost us $5 bucks in fuel to go down in the coast in the gallant (car) the rest of $$ went up in smoke those are the days

hey i still got the motor ya know.

Yeah Mick it was me and a mate Dave you were chattin to... good to meet you and thanks for sharing tips on fishing the Coomera. You had more luck than us but we have th e tips for next time ;) ... 1 bream from a cast at the shoals and a flatty on the troll (and zip for Dave :( ). Would have been nice to nab one of those trevors - pulled a 50 cm model from there a month back and lost another yak side on the same trip. Love the boat setup and Dave'll be copying your leckie mount soon too. Haven't been around AFO for a while but you've inspired me to make a bit of a return....

Cheers,

Greg.

post-4724-144598668941_thumb.jpg

. :lol::lol: sorry greg i thought ya tourny shirt said ON-line :blink: my bad :huh: :silly:.

today the upper coomera was very dirty from the rain but it cleared up heaps on the low tide and ended up i had another repeat sesion around 2:30pm on the flatties stil no trevs came out to play but the flatties keept me amused.

mick

Archived