are there any tuna around

Zim man

I would love to get one...what are your best tips on a hookup? Early morning, just before sunup, look for birds working and for any surface action,....????? Slugs or soft plastics?

I am fishing from the yak, so it is very hit and miss, just a fluke if you are in the right area, as they move too fast to chase whilst paddling. I was using slugs, however if you were to drop a plastic in the middle of them busting up, then I reckon they would take it for sure.

Saw some busting up between Wello and Peel yesterday briefly, in the morning around day break. I was floating around in the yak and couldn't have been bothered chasing them with the 6lb I had :evil: .

They didn't stick around for long so it would be very hit and miss chasing them I think.

Plastic fantastic nailed a couple big Longies a few weeks back just off cleveland point.

Jeremy and I had a crack the week after (maybe 3 weeks ago) and they were still in the bay hitting schools of bait. We found them between horse shoe bay & Straddie

I super keen to take my boat for a maiden tuna run but may stick to the broadwater depending on the weather

We saw some real horses on sunday arvo off peel but they didn't stick around for long and a mate said he saw them off cuchi too.

hey all

i was wondering if the longtails are still around? anyone seen or heard anything as i am kinda keen to have one last crack at them this week (weather permitting)

They should still be around north of Peel but they're pretty random this time of the year, also Tuna are a gentlemans hours fish meaning you can chase them in the middle of the day also. If you do spot them small clearish 3" plastics are the best bet and don't be afraid to let the plastic sink into the school abit as sometimes you'll pick them up down deep. Now i'm gunna pack the yak and float around off Wello for the arvo and see if there's any around there.

Cheers

Mark

They should still be around north of Peel but they're pretty random this time of the year, also Tuna are a gentlemans hours fish meaning you can chase them in the middle of the day also. If you do spot them small clearish 3" plastics are the best bet and don't be afraid to let the plastic sink into the school abit as sometimes you'll pick them up down deep. Now i'm gunna pack the yak and float around off Wello for the arvo and see if there's any around there.

Cheers

Mark

let me know how you go, fingers crossed the stars align and i can go and chase them

Cheers

Mark

let me know how you go, fingers crossed the stars align and i can go and chase them

When are you thinking of going Rob?

Pretty sure i saw them about 500m from the first set of tripod beacons out of the port of brisbane on sunday.

Too keen to catch one but they didnt come back up anywhere that i saw in the next half hour or so after they surfaced.

And i saw them briefly near peel around 10am or so on friday but couldnt see them again because it got choppy.

i caught a tailor near peel and it coughed up some 40-50mm whitebait so thats probably what they are feeding on.

Just got back from Wello main reason for the trip was to test the sounder and that seems okay. Didn't fish much but there was one school of Mac Tuna about 300m out from the leads working south towards Cleveland Point. They didn't stay up for long and Mac Tuna are a pain in the arse to chase in a boat let alone a kayak so I left them alone. Most of the schools that pop up breifly and move really quick will be the Mac Tuna, Longies behave a little differently.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers

Mark

When are you thinking of going Rob?

Sorry, just saw this now. Am heading tommorrow, to well for a squire sesh and maybe more if we see anything happening

Archived