How long is that fish?

fenelious

Quick question - When measuring a fish for legal size limits or simply to quote it's size to others, is it from the tip of the nose to the very tip of the tail, or to the inside V part of the tail? And of course some fish don't have a forked tail...

I've always just measured tip to tip with the tail straight in line with the body, but read somewhere that it's to the 'fork of the tail' which made me think I might be doing it wrong??

- Steve.

>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3011.htm

No stretching the tail or pointing it down the ruler to make it longer!

Who would do that ? didn't you know that Snapper, Threadys in fact all fish with a forked caudal swim around with the upper lobe in a horizontal position :whistle:

I Just got a clarification on this law from fisheries and I found it quite interesting.

Up until several years ago all fish in QLD were measured by pinching the tail fins closed to attain the most extreme length of the fish.

Now the law has been changed by the politicians to much disgust by fisheries to state a fish is measured overall from the point of the snout with mouth closed to the extreme tip of the tail without manipulation.

Now the proper way to measure all fish in QLD except for rays,sharks and flathead is to lay the fish flat(not vertical) on its side with the dorsal fin facing away from you.

You then hold the fish with its snout on the end board with closed mouth and run your fingers along the top and bottom of the fish to attain the straightest line possible and down along the tail pulling the tail fins in and then releasing them.

The point at which the tail fins come back to rest is the overall legal length of the fish.

The fisheries said they fought the government on this rule change but in the end they had no say against it and they also said they will measure a persons fish the old way if they believe they have made an honest mistake to give the angler the benefit of the doubt and a fine.

Every state in australia legally measures fish by pinching the tail closed to attain the most extreme length of the fish and QLD is now the odd state out.

Sharks,Rays and Flathead are measured with the same principle but they are to be laid flat on their underside(on their bellies) and not on their side like all other fish.

Archived