"Wild Cats" Maiden Voyage On The Broadwater !!

Manni79

As most people know I bought my first boat earlier this week and today was the maiden voyage for the “Wild Catâ€

Being an inexperienced skipper I was heading out with my mate Dan to show me the ropes and chase a few fish !!

With all the talk at work during the week somehow Henry managed to get a ticket for the maiden voyage as well :) So we pick the boat up from the dealer at 8am and with a quick once over the boat we set off launching at the “Grand†boat ramp.

Henry was keen for dawn session and was already fishing near “Sea World†so we motored over to pick him up, we grab Henry and have a chat and no fish landed in the Dawn session except for a dropped Flatty close to the bank..... no witnesses except for stranger fishing near him......

We start flicking a few plastics around and the banter starts immediately with talk of the skipper being out-fished and being denied the first catch lol :)

The pressure was on and we flicking plastics along a sand bank drop off, I get a hit.. I’M ON!!! a few seconds later Naaah, spat it !!! We fish for an hour or so with all of us getting a tap here and there but no fish. The wind was getting quite bad and creating fair bit of swell and chop. Another new experience being the skipper was now making the decisions lol so off we went for calmer waters, so we power through the chop and open her up a little, man this little boat can boogy !!! It was an entertaining ride and bumpy at times, probably more my fault as I learn to drive my boat lol. We get to our destination and set a drift, not long after, I feel a tap and strike !!! I’M ON HAHA !! and a short tussle later I boated the first fish of the day

A nice Flathead at 44cm :)

post-8859-14459867266_thumb.jpg

Once again the "Reaction Strike" Mullet Jr does the damage !!!

post-8859-144598672674_thumb.jpg

The cherry was popped and no more pressure to worry about and we got back to our fishing. Some more time passes and I’m on again... a short fight and I boated another nice fish!

This Flathead going 48.5cm (not a great flight but swallowed the whole plastic)

post-8859-144598672684_thumb.jpg

The wind was really bad and was thinking of searching other ground, we fish a bit longer and Henry pull’s in a couple larger Pike, probably around 40cm long !!!

Dan not feeling the love was having a slow day with not even a hit but after a couple more drifts and a few more casts Dan finally hooks up !!! it was a huge battle he worked the fish for about 15 minutes, rod fully loaded, drag screaming, working the fish slowly back to the boat until the beast came aboard :blink::huh: :dry: LOL !!

post-8859-144598672693_thumb.jpg

Off to Crab island now to try and avoid the wind, AGAIN!!! we find a nice patch and drift over very shallow water, some time was spent working the drop offs and weed beds and Henry’s on to his first Flathead, this one put up a decent fight and there was one following it as well which was cool to see but we didn’t get a chance to flick at the second fish !!

This Flathead went 48cm

post-8859-1445986727_thumb.jpg

After this we fished a bit longer but decided to grab some lunch, we go into a canal for shelter and get some burgers and enjoy a short time just chilling and talking about the days action.

Me in my new boat

post-8859-144598672709_thumb.jpg

We fished the canal for a little bit and then called it a day, the water was a bit calmer by now and allowed me a chance to cruise back the the ramp and enjoy some more time driving my new boat :)

It was a very tough day due to the wind but had good company on board and landed a few nice fish !!

Was nice having the lads giving me some tips and tricks with boating too !!! :)

Thanks for reading, Manni

Thanks Fellas :)

Hulk, with the conditions not great it was a good test for the boat and for me !! will be a lot easier and fun when the conditions improve

Mark, if weather permits will definitely take it out off shore, most likely my mate will be the skipper though, can't wait to chase the Mackeral

KAF, will def post deckie spots, keep an eye out ;)

You should get plenty of fun at of your boat Manni

Thanks Fellas :)

Hulk, with the conditions not great it was a good test for the boat and for me !! will be a lot easier and fun when the conditions improve

Mark, if weather permits will definitely take it out off shore, most likely my mate will be the skipper though, can't wait to chase the Mackeral

KAF, will def post deckie spots, keep an eye out ;)

Thanks Fellas, definitely good to get some mojo on its first trip :)

Planning another assualt for the Flatties next weekend :)

Ryan the conditions were pretty crap but the boat handled the swell and chop quite well !!!

The boat easily gets up on the plane and moving pretty quick, we didn't go too hard but there is an article from Bush n Beach with the wildcat 435 and the 75 etec on the back, they recorded a speed of around 70km one up

well thats good that it handles well, your obviously over the moon with it, 70km thats pretty quick, hope you get out in it soon

Yeah alot more power than I need at the moment lol

Now just been buying little bits and pieces, the last thing I needed to do was buy a boat hahaha

well thats good that it handles well, your obviously over the moon with it, 70km thats pretty quick, hope you get out in it soon

Yeah alot more power than I need at the moment lol

Now just been buying little bits and pieces, the last thing I needed to do was buy a boat hahaha

ahaha well you got it now, the only way you will get rid of it is if you upgrade :)

cheers ryan

First trip in a new boat - does life get any better??? Nice session for a tough day.

Can you tell me what the lure is in the mouth of that first Flattie pic - I don't recognise and I like the colouring on it?

Thanks

Marty

Hey Marty, the lure is made by Reaction Strike, it's called the Mullet Jr 4 inch (Mullet Colour)

Archived