The 'Pine'Fires

Freshy

It was a quiet Monday morning, the forecast a little indifferent and I had the day off. The minister dropped our son at school and returned to a readied boat. This was going to be a day of firsts. The first time I wear my fathers day present (Pontoon 21 tounry shirt), The first time my electric was going to be in the water, the first time out for my youngest Eli, the ministers first fish on a plastic, her first jewie and my first tarpon.

Eli, I'm not sure if he's enjoying the boat or his biscuit?

post-5096-144598674228_thumb.jpg

So we headed off from DWB around 0930 and straight up to my fav snags to hunt for some early jacks in the South Pine. The tide was the lowest I'd seen it for a while, it was interesting to see how much it had changed since the floods. Any way there was nothing on the chew so I thought we'd head out to chase up something for the fish of the month.

I headed to a spot I've wanted to fish for a while now but was waiting for the electric. I worked the electric for a bit to practice getting about the place. Once comfortable I set us up just out of the creek mouth, I loaded the ministers 1/8 jighead with 3" gulp shrimp and in she went. As soon as at had it hit the water I hear, oh I've got one, only in a girlie voice. A little instruction on taking your time and we'd netted a little jewie. The tail was a little damaged as you'll see with a couple of parasites. Not big, but a good start.

post-5096-144598674243_thumb.jpg

post-5096-144598674255_thumb.jpg

Then it was my turn, a couple of entries for FOTM, (not winning entries though). I ended up with 2 keepers in the boat, one at 42 and the 50. Three dropped fish on top of that as well.

post-5096-144598674268_thumb.jpg

post-5096-144598674285_thumb.jpg

During this period I noticed some movement in the North Pine opposite the mouth of the South. Initially I didn't take much notice as I thought it was jumping mullet. About a half hour later I noticed more movement and realised it wasn't mullet. Initial thoughts were tailor. After some good catches of late and some newly found confidence I thought I'd head over and have a look.

After ditching the Evinrude for the Watersnake I snuck up on them and had a flick. I had no idea at the point what I was going to be onto. A quick downsize in plastic to 3' minnow (Gulp) and I had a quick hit. Another cast and bang, the Shimano Jewel was getting its biggest test to date. A few runs and head shaking action I got some colour, mmmm silver, mullet, no, mmmmm tailor may be. A little bit of aerial action led me to think Tarpon. I've heard of them being caught up the Pine but never seen it. A little while later and the ministers fine network produced my first Tarpon. Couldn't believe it, my first Tarpon, to say I was excited is an understatement.

[attachment:6]P9050756.jpg[/attachment]

post-5096-144598674295_thumb.jpg

First one released and off we went, the electric was great, stalk the fish and get into them. Well things got a little frustrating for a while. Hook up after hook up, a bust off and quite a few spat hooks on the jump but I did manage to land another. Plenty of aerial action with this one and went like the clappers.

post-5096-144598674305_thumb.jpg

During this period I employed the minister to get the iphone out and shoot some video. Some good action there edited and and uploaded to You Tube to be added once it's ready.

So a successful day was had, I couldn't get the smile off my face and can't wait to get back out.

I'll end it there as it's a rather lengthy post. A couple more pics to throw in shortly and You Tube.

I hope you've enjoyed the read and enjoy the vid when I put it up.

Cheers

Freshy

Archived