Bull shark fishing

Baker

Hey just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on catching small bull sharks? What rig should i use as when i use one hook through the back of the mullet they always miss the hook. Also what are the best times,tides, moon phases and baits for these little bullies? Cheers

hint number one. summer time hot days

hint number two. you need to let them run with the bait with as little resistance as possible. dont strike until they feel the hook, this is when they hit high speed, engage reel and let the line tension before striking with the rod a few times to set the hook.

they like to feel the bait a few times before eating. stick with the single hook rig on wire and just try this technique ;)

hint number one. summer time hot days

hint number two. you need to let them run with the bait with as little resistance as possible. dont strike until they feel the hook, this is when they hit high speed, engage reel and let the line tension before striking with the rod a few times to set the hook.

they like to feel the bait a few times before eating. stick with the single hook rig on wire and just try this technique ;)

agreed,

with tide, times and moon phases, we have ever really thought that one out but we always leave early morning to beat the heat and get better bait, and we always seem to get them on live mullet, for little mullet just go through the back and for bigger mullet go through the mouth and out the gills and hook it in the back.

the shark rigs i use are 60lb-200lb wire with hook sizes from 9/0-12/0, if you want more info just ask madmullet he knows his stuff abut sharks. hope that helps ya

cheers ryan

welcome to the site mate.... for starters, where do you want to fish mainly and is it land or boat based, and what size sharks do you want to chase.

He siad small ones, so that probably covers sharks from 80cm-1.3m or so. For small sharks use something like 50lb plastic coated wire and hook size like 5/0-7/0. Two hook rig for the livie is the way to go and if you can't catch any livies, use fresh water eel (i have had most of my success with this bait), or half a mullet or something. You can try Alexander Clark Park on an incoming tide. At that place put your bait on the bottom as ballooning is hopeless there (too many mangroves in the way). Hope this helped :cheer:

Cheers Anthony

for river sharks, I use a baitrunner with 10lb mainline. A metre or so of 40lb leader and plastic coated wire. A hook up the front of the dorsal fin and a single hook pinned at the start of the tail. The bullie will harrass the bait a bit (usually) then as it runs, count to four and let the line tension up like Wes says and give it a couple of strikes to set the hook.

Here's a report of mine from a while ago

Must take Henry this summer for a sesh

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/10-all-brisbane-rivers-and-creeks-reports/238254-bream-is-my-new-favourite-live-bait#238256

ha, nice report tomca.. ive got 60lb, so do you think i should put that on then the wire trace?

if you got braid, i go straight onto the trace (but with braid having a longer wire trace is wise ;) )

and runty bro you will have to do some sharking seshs with us down shultz aye :)

may I ask, what is the good of this? Always attach a monofilament leader to your braid and then attach wire to your mono. Correct if wrong but this is what I think is right. ;)

Anthony

ha, nice report tomca.. ive got 60lb, so do you think i should put that on then the wire trace?

if you got braid, i go straight onto the trace (but with braid having a longer wire trace is wise ;) )

and runty bro you will have to do some sharking seshs with us down shultz aye :)

may I ask, what is the good of this? Always attach a monofilament leader to your braid and then attach wire to your mono. Correct if wrong but this is what I think is right. ;)

Anthony

if you have leader on there aswell there is an extra weak spot for something to go wrong e.g. knot slips, leader breaks etc

so by having a longer trace there is less chance of the shark hitting the braid and from going straight from briad to trace there is less chance of something breaking or slipping :side:

Reading what you guys have to say about shark fishing and how passionate you all are about it has enspired me I think I might give it a go. I always thought it was a case of get a burley trail going with ox blood in it throw somting big out and wait for your arms to get pulled off. It sounds to be a bit more technical than that. :S :blush:

Yeah we fish in shualtz, just after a small bully. Do you reckon they will be active at night?

i had my best session (only out of like 8) at night we landed 4 in about an hour during the turn of the tide at about 10 at night after this we didnt catch any more. in saying that from memory pat got like 9 in a session in the morning once?

Yeah we fish in shualtz, just after a small bully. Do you reckon they will be active at night?

i had my best session (only out of like 8) at night we landed 4 in about an hour during the turn of the tide at about 10 at night after this we didnt catch any more. in saying that from memory pat got like 9 in a session in the morning once?

I think we worked out we got 12 in 2 and 1/2 hours and went home. That was a 7oclock start too from memory.

Pat

Last wednesday got two nice sharks boatsde in the bay and the friday prior got a nice little bullie wth Kurt and will be heading out with the new reel again this wednesday to do the same. Thanks Kurt for all the info on sharks, showing me how to splice wire leader and general lack of bullshi* in your approach to it. Ive caught quite a few sharks as by-catch over the years but this summer they are on the radar, looking forward to some landbased shaking for big whallers (would love to see a tiger come ip on the beach too)

Fromthe few sharks already around I think this year i going to be a cracker

• 2 months later...

mate my friends and I regularly go out chasing small bull sharks in the upper reaches of the Brisbane river my set up a shimano baitrunner with 15lb main line which i then attach 2 60-80lb nylon coated steel trace (first one to my main line then the second through the first snap ring with no 5-7 hook at the end of both trace) we get lazy with the cast net so when where not using livies we just use frozen mullet fillet still works fine, we have found the best times to go in the upper reaches of the brissy river is earlie morning late arvo at the turn of the time we have gotten most of our sharks. and let them run for a little bit before trying to set the hook you will get a better hookup rate its a lot of fun they will tend to jump out of the water just after the hookup and maybe once more if your lucky.

post-10113-144598716844_thumb.jpg

\throw somting big out and wait for your arms to get pulled off. It sounds to be a bit more technical than that. :S :blush:
Haha hardly, It's not very technical at all. Also they don't pull your arms off, I reckon under a metre they pull like an xos catfish!! Each to their own though.

haha why do you go so heavier trex? i go just 2-4kg rod, 6lb braid and a 2500 reel. worrks the goods ;) haha
because I'm hoping that one day something bigger then a 3-4 foot bullshark will grab a hold of my bait ha ha a 2m bullshark was caught at colleges crossing a couple of Years ago one that size will do me.

Archived