NPD for Beginners???

jubjubs

Hi Iv just moved into my new place at Lawnton. Iv always had fun fishing up the coast (Maroochydore) while on holidays but never really did any at home. Iv been driving over the aj whilely bridge (spelling) thinking I wounder if there is fish in there. So I went searching only to discover NPD iv always known there was a lake around but never knew how close it was!

Now is there a how to on fishing the NPD? I have gone though the 50 odd pages of threads in the freshwater section and read a lot of the fishing reports. But what I am really after is like a reference book with what fish and size limits and what the best way to fish for them. I understand its all about getting out there and start fishing but I would like a little guide to start off with.

The next and most important I would say would be what is the best gear to use? Im a handline type of guy and have always fished with one onshore or offshore and I don’t own a rod or reel so that’s on my to get list. Would BCF be a good place to start for gear or is there other smaller places that could help me out with a little more knowledge?

Is there a must have in your freshwater fishing kit?

Im not asking for your super secretes just a little helping hand for someone who would love to get into freshwater fishing

Thanks heaps guys this site is awesome!

Do a search for NPD on here and you should get heaps of reports come up. Especially look out for reports by rayke1938 and dinodadog as they are two that really have that place wired and you will pick up heaps just by reading their reports and seeing what they do. Also look at the prfma website, there is an article written about fishing landbased at the dam by dino, I think Ray also did one on redclawing. Like I said there is heaps on here you just have to look :) As for the outfit if you are luring then your basic 7' 2-5kg spin stick should see you out of trouble and it will also be good for bait fishing. Oh and welcome to the site :)

Have a talk to the people at the tackle store at Carseldine for hints & tips. Can also pick up the rules & regs for freshwater fishing and get you SIP to fish the dam.

You'll find it easier to fish NPD with a rod/reel outfit specially if you're going to try lures.

Having said that If you're more confortable with using handlines go for it.

Luc

Archived