This wks Fishing SEQFA

SouthEast Fishing

18/09/2011

Hey All,

Well I will put this week’s fishing report down in the awesome category.

Let’s start with Tuesday, Myself and Bob finished work early again and decided to head up the Caboolture River to try a few snags which have been producing a few Jack. The tides this week were all low around dusk so we were feeling quit confident that we could come up with the goods and pick up one or two Jack. As the tide was running out we motored past our first spot around 100m and dropped the electric in and worked our way back casting at the banks. I tell you what there are some great bream in there at the moment nearly every cast we were getting hit by bream and when we finally landed one it was a decent size just over 32 to the fork (they did not hesitate to hit 4inch minnow on 10lb) Anyway we got to our snag and peppered it for no result except for a few good snag hook ups!! We decided to come back on the slack of the tide and drove to another bank which we don’t normally touch but as it is lined in timber and reasonably deep water we gave it a shot. Within 10 or so casts bob was hit, I turned around not thinking much of the hook up until it took a blistering run under the boat and up the creek IT WAS ON! Straight away Bob called Thready and he was dead on, with ten nervous minutes flying by we finally netted the fish and yep it was a healthy 92cm Thready a PB for Bob in the Caboolture river and the second thready I have been able to get on film in there. To say the least we were both very happy to see this awesome fish. Bob decided to keep the Thready for a feed and I was curious to see how they chew as I have never tasted one before. The rest of the session produced a few nice flathead/ bream and tailor but the Jack today were elusive to us. (A little tip if you don’t have an esky aboard, keep some 80lb mono on you so you can tie your catch to the back of the boat to keep fresh so you can fish the rest of the arvo session. Just keep an eye out for bull sharks as they will not be shy in attacking your fish!)

Thursday could not come quick enough for me as I knew I could duck out for a quick arvo fish and try and get myself a thready. I meet up with a good mate Brad at 3pm and we shot up the creek to try our luck. (A quick tip for anyone venturing up the Caboolture River “Bakers flats†markers are in the wrong place, best off turning left at the first red and following the bank up as there is deeper water.) A yacht found this out being half rolled over for most of the day. Ok back to fishing, it was my day! Caboolture River has a tendency to produce one good fish most trips and I was lucky enough to catch another thready being my first and hopefully not my last as these fish certainly hold account for themselves. Both Threadfin myself and Bob caught this week came at the same time of the tide (1 ½ hours before low) and to the same plastic 4inch Gulp Smelt/Pearl Watermelon minnows.

Rods: 2 to 4 kg spins rods

Reels: Daiwa Caldia 2506, Shimano Sienna 2500

Line: 3lb Stren 10lb Leader, 10lb Unitika 10lb leader

Jig heads: Atomic Seekers 1/8 with heavy 1/0 hook

Friday

I was lucky enough to catch up with a good friend of mine Kev and shoot up the creek for an arvo fish. Kev has just come down from the Territory for a quick hiatus’ before going back to the mines for work. This trip only produced a few flatty and bream but sometimes it’s just good to be on the water with a good mate. Kev has invited me up to Bynoe harbour where he lives to sample some of his local fishery and from the pic’s and stories I’m eager to get there as soon as I can!

Saturday

With the weather being absolutely perfect myself and Jamie headed out to Redcliffe to chase some tuna and bream. It was a very quiet all day, we managed to get bream but whenever we seen a school of tuna they quickly went straight down and disappeared, not only that but with the gear we were targeting them on I think it would of lasted about 20sec before we got spooled . The tuna we were chasing were easily in the meter long category but there were not a great number of them. All in All it was still a great day on the water we launched at Scarbs and ventured all the way down to see the Crazy ski boats. (Those skiers are nuts 200klm behind a boat wow!!) The bream we caught for the day were all caught around the Reddy Jetty on the shallow reefs and the bite period lasted for about 30mins an hour before High tide. We used Gulp 3inch minnows and Atomic Deep diving in ghost gill Brown. We also used surface early in the morning which produced a few tailor and a number of bream hits. (Surface Lure was the new Austakle)

Well that was SEQFA week of fishing some mixed result but some awesome times

Cheers Andrew

post-7987-144598680407_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598680423_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598680431_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598680441_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598680451_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598680462_thumb.jpg

Archived