Cabbage Tree Creek

Dan23

Went for a drive to shorncliffe today. Hadn't been there since I was a kid. Did a search on the forum about it and there's not much mention of it fishing wise. So what's the go. The jetty at the mouth looks like it is worth a crack. Is the creek polluted?? Also on a related note what's the fishing like on the pier? Saw heaps of people fishing but no one catching anything? Anyone hear of people catching Trevally, Jewfish or Taylor? Or is it mainly just bream??

I'm moving to Albion in a month so I'm keen to find any sweet spots that are within about a 20 minute drive. I'll be right near Breakky Creek but I'm too suss on eating any fish I catch there no matter how many people say it's ok.

Hi i live in the local area and the creek is not polluted.

The fishing is alright at times and atm there is alot of pike and small bream <20cm and some big bream.

The jetty at the mouth \"Baxters Jetty\" has just been rebuilt about 12 months ago.

You can also have some success out around the corner of the cliff's.

The bigger jetty is the Shorncliffe Jetty the main fish atm are Bream some big some small, squid, whiting and the occasional tailor.

The rock wall next to the jetty can also be good for bream at dusk hightides.

I was fishing off the shorncliffe jetty a few weeks back and the bloke up from me was using frozen pilchards cut up on size 2long shank hooks and caught 6bream, 4 Legal!!

A good haul for the jetty.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks heaps guys. That's all the info I was looking for. Wouldn't wanna waste my time if there was nothing there but if there's decent fish to be had I'll find a way to get into them. Wonder how jigging soft plastics would go off the jetty? You'd think you could get bream to smash them by bobbing them around the pilons.

Dan23 wrote:

Thanks heaps guys. That's all the info I was looking for. Wouldn't wanna waste my time if there was nothing there but if there's decent fish to be had I'll find a way to get into them. Wonder how jigging soft plastics would go off the jetty? You'd think you could get bream to smash them by bobbing them around the pilons.

i have never done that myself but if the bream are there i can see no reason why they wouldnt smash them good luck with it

Like they say, lotsa breams, big and small. Caught 2 breams and 1 tarwhine and tons of herrings in 1 cast of my net there. Pretty small fellas though.

Occasional good sized flatheads (caught a 49cm once), mostly located around the sheltered part of the pier.

Stingrays are quite plentiful, u can actually see them \"flying\" near the surface.

Also mostly undersized tailors and whiting. Not sure about SPs but prawns seem to do the trick for most fishes here. Squid's of coz for stingrays!

Good luck!

hi there i live on cabbage tree creek i have a house up the top of the river 7 kms from creek mouth we catch mostly catties with some good bream a few cod in summer and the ocasional flatie \"to many rocks at my place for them\" further down the river where the trawlers park are a few deeper holes that can be productive off the bank , i regually fish the rocks opposite the big boat ramp up near the trawlers just launch a small boat yak etc and go straight about 80 metres and your there there is some very good flats fishing on the far side of the river opposite baxters i havent seen much come in from baxters since they blew the old jetty its as though the explosions scared crap out of everything:( to the left of the big boat ramp is a small but surpisingly productive spot for bream to good luck guys if ever you want to fish cabbage tree call me and ill come if im not working or kicking the kids:silly:

hey Dan if the jetty is over crowded have a try round the trawlers and the back of the co op one of my favorite spots, usualy a few bream lurking about, if you can get a mid week fish have a try when the trawlers are washing the tanks out, the bream congregate to pick off the scraps ps they are good clean eating

Post edited by: 2 wheels, at: 2007/06/24 09:43

G'day Dan, I fish with Faulked as often as possible, at his waterside boardwalk and I must say the fishing can be as good in the creek as anywhere else,the variety has been mentioned and we have landed some good size fishy's there..... simple,close,and if you like just catching fish for the fun of it I think it's a good place to wet a line Good luck with it and keep us posted on how ya go...try the creek and near the boat ramp near the Co-op at Sandgate yacht club.... and see how ya go with steak strips, you may be surprised.

Well I thought I'd drag up this thread cause I got around to trying out the mouth of Cabbage Tree Creek today. Was planning on getting there at 7am to fish 2hours run up to the high tide then 2 on the other side. Unfortunately slept in so didn't get down there till about 11am. After a quick walk around I decided the new jetti looked promising but there was another bloke fishing with some young kids. I staked a spot on the other side which was not the best because the tide was running back towards me making it difficult to fish. Anyway I had a few casts of some soft plastics with no luck then decided to wack a heavy sinker on my surf rod and cast it out as far into the channel as possible. This was a good idea, 3rd cast and a 40cm Flattie! It fought hard too because the tide was helping it pull and I was surprised it wasn't bigger. I actually saw him make a run for a pilon and yanked on my rod to keep him out. Yanked so hard I pulled it out of the water and sent it flying back towards me, one more heave and it was up onto the jettie. Felt bad for the guy who'd been fishing all morning because it seemed he hadn't caught a thing.

Anyway, after that the wind really picked up and the tide started to really run. The good spot on the jettie opened up when the other bloke and his kids left so I snaked it while it was free. Didn't produce much though. A few small Taylor which prompted me to try some metals but that led nowhere. So I called it a day. Not bad for a first crack. I reckon with the right tide and time that spot would produce some decent fish. There's a sweet drop off that has got to have some monster lizards in it. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/flathead.jpg

hey guys,

i regularly go down to shornecliffe with the mrs for fish & chips and buy 3 cooked prawns from the co-op and can't remember ever missing out on at least 1 good bream. last sunday, 3 prawns, three 28cm bream, which all went back. i always fish beside the co-op, the resident fish live on cooked prawns washed in to the creek from trawlers and the co-op floor.

jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Not being able to make it to the bass at Somerset this weekend, I thought I would have a crack at the bream locally last night.

It was nice and calm, very little wind and high tide was about 8.00pm, so I thought I would try one of my local spots.

I have fished Cabbage Tree Creek at Sandgate many times, but mainly with plastics for flatties at low tide, so I was unsure how best to attack the bream.

Having read a number of posts and being told by customers that bream are partial to a feed of raw chicken, I gave the chook a go.

Thawed some thigh fillets in the microwave, packed the gear and some warm clothes, and headed off.

My preference was somewhere with lighting, so I tried the little jetty (Baxters).

Some other guys were there but there was plenty of room and they packed up soon after I arrived anyway.

They had pulled in a few small whiting but not much else.

As soon as the first bit of chook hit the water the bites were on.

Not huge fish by any means, mainly 15-20cm, but a bit of fun while waiting for the big ones to arrive.

As the tide turned and started to flow back towards the mouth, I swapped positions to the other side of the jetty to follow the tide.

The water wasn't very deep, but still plenty of bites to keep me busy.

I had plenty of chicken, so I started a burley trail, using smallish chuncks thrown out every couple of minutes.

As soon as the burley hit the water the action picked up and in the space of half an hour I caught two healthy leagl bream and dropped a couple of others that felt similar.

Eventually I ran out of dead chook, and when I left the bite had slowed, but a couple who arrived as I was packing up landed a smallish flattie from the same spot on prawn bait.

Overall, the results were not magnificent, but it was a pleasant evening close to home with a couple of good fish caught and released to fight again another day. I will definitly be giving chicken another go in an attempt to get some bigger bream in the future.

Pictures to follow.

Rocket [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/webbream1.jpg

post-953-144598422174_thumb.jpg

the larger ramp near the trawlers if the tides droping cast to the left where the sail boats are if you can theres a good 10ft drop off there with light rubble bottom theres normally a couple of nice fish there or try in and out the trawlers moving around heaps with stuff all weight you loose a few igs but good fun i chuck most things back so i have no idea on how good they taste i like hamburgers meself:P

• 2 weeks later...

I fish this spot quite regularly (out near the mouth i mean) avoid the jetty itself as it gets pretty crowded and not too much action there from my experience. I prefer to go out toward the mouth around the first green beacon, wade out a little and flick a few sp's around....like most spots its hot and cold...ive pulled them in one after the other here and then next time nothing. low tide in the afternoon seems to be most productive time. Ive caught a few flatties upstream in the tinnie and pike on sp's around the boat ramp near yacht club...good luck

fished the bottom of the tide last night. was at the mouth off the bank just up from the jetty. Caught about half an hour of light and managed a 41cm flatty 4th cast. After that tide started to run in which seems to send them off. Wish I was there a few hours earlier. maybe next week I can time it better. I reckon last 2 hours of the tide and I could get into double figures. Tried some bait fishing off the jetty but that was pretty lame. Saw some blokes in waders out near the channel markers getting into some nice looking bream.

Archived