Hope Island

Cheyne_jones

G'day all,

I am interested to find out from those in the know whats the deal with fishing from a boat in the canals around Hope Island?

Is it illegal as such or do you just get harassed by security that cant really stop you?

I dont want to break any laws or risk having the cops end up with my rego and coming for a chat, but I am keen to fish it over the coming months...

So tell me your experiences so I can decide weather to risk it or not...

From my understanding, if you head into a canal and you see signage & security camera's stating something along the lines of 'Private Canal - No public entry' etc then i'd steer clear.

Otherwise I'd just head straight in. I believe the property owners down there own the land + jetties/pontoons and not the water itself so don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to get in there and fish

Fair enough, I have seen a few canals with those cameras etc and still fished them without a problem, however I dont fish near boats etc when I have seen the cameras, I have always figured if the residents have no reason to get rid of you most wont feel the need to call security.

Has anyone on here been kicked out of there before?

I know of a few people that have been booted from sanctuary cove and heard the same rules may apple for hope island, really just want to know where I stand because I wouldnt dare hit sanctuary cove.

Hope Island canals were built on land that was owned and developed, allowing the owners to restrict there use to residents only.

Yes you might get away with it for a short time, but what happens is just more bad publicity for fishermen.

River Links canals were hit by thieves a few weeks ago, this is why residents are very cautious about fishermen hanging around the back of their houses.

Same old story, 90% of people do the right thing but are restricted because 10% are morons.

yeah i fish the hope harbour marina and the surrounding canals ive never had anyone complain or had security come out to me ......ive gotten to know a few of the residents that reside on the marina and they r more than happy to have a chatt ,i have always said that if anyone was to come over to me and ask me to leave that i would be more than happy to .

Archived