My first keeper snapper!

josmo99

Finally caught my first keeper snapper from Moreton Bay (left the camera at home bummer). So looking forward to a delicious oven baked meal in foil with herbs, butter and chilli! But, it was disgusting, the worst fish I've ever tasted!! The flesh was mush with a horrible weedy/muddy smell. The fish went straight into the bin. So here I am reduced to munching bread :(

Has anyone experienced the same culinary delight with bay caught snapper?

Since it's Spring, I don't suppose it has anything to do with a diet of rotting cuttlefish?

On the other hand, bream at this time of the year are super tasty!

funny you say something about this. a few trips ago now, out in the bay (north of mud) i caught a few squire that were very pale nearly silver in colour and so soft to handle and where my hands had been holding it around the gut whilst dehooking it my fingers left impessions ,like dints in its flesh.

bay snaps are normaly great chewin

congrates on the first snap :woohoo:, pitty about dinner :(

I caught it from the shallow reefs at Green. I'd say it wasn't as dark pink as some squire I've seen but it wasn't pale or anything, the fish looked healthy and solid. And it wasn't an old fart either, was no more than 37cm.

I remember gutting it alright :S For a fresh fish, the guts sure stank! As I've never caught a snapper here before, I thought that was normal. It was chockers with crushed black shells, some brown kelp stuff and yellowish stains.

Wish the fish could talk, could have told me it was crap tasting and I'd have let it go :)

I caught it from the shallow reefs at Green. I'd say it wasn't as dark pink as some squire I've seen but it wasn't pale or anything, the fish looked healthy and solid. And it wasn't an old fart either, was no more than 37cm.

I remember gutting it alright :S For a fresh fish, the guts sure stank! As I've never caught a snapper here before, I thought that was normal. It was chockers with crushed black shells, some brown kelp stuff and yellowish stains.

Wish the fish could talk, could have told me it was crap tasting and I'd have let it go :)

All the snapper that I've ever gutted (not too many) have smelled pretty shite too. But

all tasted good. So not sure what happend with yours?

Well done anyway!

did you blled it and out it on ice.....

very strange, they are usually beautiful fish to eat.....

where in the bay did you catch it

Nay didn't bleed it but it was in an ice slurry the entire time.

Reason why I asked about rotting cuttlefish was the snapper we used to catch in southern NSW were always excellent table fare except for a few weeks in Spring when they dine exclusively on the dead cuttlefish post spawning. Ironically that was the easiest time to catch them but they were inedible. "Sh!t! Not another snapper again" was used a lot when we saw colour.

Oh well, no sweat, it was good to land my first 35cm+ snapper from the bay. Seen plenty of photos on this forum but never seemed to land any.

i always like to fillet my fish as guts always stink lol , i caught a 80cm jew the other week and thought it would be a great idea to cut open its stomach to see what its been eating....BAD IDEA !! i nearly spewed so bad coz of the smell lol ill never do that one again, i caught a 40cm squire the other week and it was sooo yummy... shame about yours mate good luck with the next one you catch

Jase..

Archived