Wanted game rod with roller guides

BassTracker

G'day guys, after looking for a bigger reel recently oztackle provided one that I could chase some sharks with. I was looking for a tld 25 or 50 but this worked out well. The week after I put it on the 20kg rod I had I was looking in cash converters at some reels (you can always get them down on price) and found a brand new boxed tld25 for $139 I thought this was pretty cheap and was able to get them down to $110 with a 3 month warranty.

But I don't have a rod for it, it's spooled up ready to go. My budget isn't huge and I don't care if the rod is as old as Adam just looking for something with roller guides (or at least tip) around the 20 to 30 kilo mark. My budget would be up to a hundred bucks. It's ok if it needs repairs to guides.

Thanks fellas

Brad

G'day guys, after looking for a bigger reel recently oztackle provided one that I could chase some sharks with. I was looking for a tld 25 or 50 but this worked out well. The week after I put it on the 20kg rod I had I was looking in cash converters at some reels (you can always get them down on price) and found a brand new boxed tld25 for $139 I thought this was pretty cheap and was able to get them down to $110 with a 3 month warranty.

But I don't have a rod for it, it's spooled up ready to go. My budget isn't huge and I don't care if the rod is as old as Adam just looking for something with roller guides (or at least tip) around the 20 to 30 kilo mark. My budget would be up to a hundred bucks. It's ok if it needs repairs to guides.

Thanks fellas

Brad

Brad, we can let you ahve a fully rollered IM7 rod with all the top feautues for just $70. I think we have 2 left. These have been selling for $299 each in the shops.

Thanks mate, what kg ratings do they come in, I'm guessing if they are fully rollered you'll have what I'm looking for! Also what length are they? I'll have a look on your website too. Sounds great

You wont find them on the website as they are 2010 models. They are 6 foot long - we have 8kg 15kg and 24kg models

Fully rollered is fine but completely uneccessary unless you are trolling and catching big fish day in day out. A rod with decent regular guides will work just fine with a lot less maintenance. There is a lot more to go wrong with roller guides. With a rod that doesn't have any rollers you will still get a couple of seasons of use out of good quality mono even if you are trolling once every couple of weeks.

Having said that Orca's rods sound the goods but if you go that way just wash the rollers and give them a good spray of silicone spray or innox after each use.

Otherwise I can't recommend highly enough a shimano backbone elite 10-15 or 15-24kg rod with roller tip only or just plain guides. They are cheap ($84 from motackle) and perform really well. There isn't a huge difference between the two and 15-24kg works just fine fished with 10kg mono. I have knocked over some of my best fish on the troll including the wahoo in my avatar with a 15-24kg backbone and tld25 spooled with 10kg.

Fully rollered is fine but completely uneccessary unless you are trolling and catching big fish day in day out. A rod with decent regular guides will work just fine with a lot less maintenance. There is a lot more to go wrong with roller guides. With a rod that doesn't have any rollers you will still get a couple of seasons of use out of good quality mono even if you are trolling once every couple of weeks.

quote]

exactly what i told him on the phone....

Yeah thanks Kurt and dhess that's great advice and I'll take it. I appreciate at it. I noticed Kurt had a bunch of roller rods and seeing as he has been chasing the same stuff for a while I was following suit but he explained it really well on the phone last night to. I'll be out once or twice a week over summer, probably more than that sharking with Kurt. Thanks again guys

Archived