Outboard kicks over but konks out

Oceandonkey

Hey all,

Hadnt started the 25hp yamaha in about a month so went to kick it over yesterday and suprise suprise...

I always run the outboard to dry after I clean it after my last fishing trip. So connected the fuel line, pumped it up and it usuallly takes 2 cranks to kick it over.

As expected it kicked over on the 2nd crank, pushed the choke back in and gave it spome throttle but no respone. it just kept painfully idleing. Then it wouldnt kick over again after another 5 cranks. So I pulled the choke out and same again, kicked over but died after about 2-3 seconds.

then after 5 pulls or so it kicked over again but just konks out straight away. Took the cover off, checked the fuel bulb and it was full. Didnt have a shifting spanner so got one at bunnings today and got some new spark plugs as well from supercheap while i was there.

came home, put them in and it kicked over first crank and same as yesterday...ran for about 2-3 seconds then i gave it some throttle and no response at all, ran for another 4-5 seconds of me trying to rev it and it conked out.

So 20 more pulls or so and yeah now i cant think what it could be so thought i might come here for some great advice as i always get.

Tell tail is running strong when it kicks over. Could i be looking at a fuel problem seeing as its kicking over?

The engine was recently rebuilt after it shot a piston. Hoping i dont have a major problem like that again.

You'll probably find the carby or carbys need new diaphrams or just leave them with some fuel in them to soak for a couple of days.

Personally when you look at a 2 stroke motor and the fact that it relys upon the fuel to lubricate the motor internals i never run it out of fuel as it leaves the motor with no lubrication on the bearings.

You can spray a lubricant intp the motor just b4 you shut it down to look after it for extended periods of not being used but i never run mine out of fuel.

Good luck

thanks for the replies guys.

I came home after oktoberfest and it appears about 4 litres of beer clears the mind.

I took the plugs out again and just gave it a few pulls without any plugs in. Then cleaned them off just incase of any fouling and put them back in. Kicked it over and whala its running perfectly.

Looks like i need some new fuel ....seems kinda strange as i ran the motor for 80% of the tank on the same mixture....

will take that advice and not let it run to dry in future, very good point you make.

Archived