"Tailor still biting in the GC"

hokianga

"Choppers still biting on the GC"

At work yesterday thinking to myself. Hhhhhhmmmmm, there hasn't been anything posted for a long while on any fish/Tailor in particular along the beaches from Surfers to the Spit ... I thought I'd do my best to put something up in the beach fishing section.. So the wheels were in motion, started checking through the weather forecast (willy weather), surf cams up to the Spit.... Narrow Neck and Main Beach being the main targets.... It was a "Roger that" on all counts Surf cam at low tide showed beautiful gutters in both directions, as far as the eye could see .... bugger all in the way of wind or swell... Basically it was probably one of, if not, the best chance of wetting the lines and finding out if The GC Beach fishing category would get a new post .... At about 3pm, Ol mate gives me a call, hey I'm down at Main beach got the rod in, just got a tailor and dropped another... (You Basket!!!! ) .....2 agonizing hours till knock off and he springs that sh*t on me .... Gee Thanks!!!....

Over the last month or so I have been following the estuary section in forum, in particular (whiting, mangrove jack and jew)....being the main focuses of attention, thanks to Youngy and everyone else, who have shared their experiences and expertise they have all been invaluable ...

Anyway 5pm bowls around, I've already bolted from work and have got the essentials from Sporty's... Get down to the beach, quick yak to the mate and into the tackle bag for my......... >:(NOOOOOOO!!!!!!) .....I'VE FORGOTTEN MY REEL *You stupid son of a bad word....bad word....bad word!!!*)....The mate Jeff, is standing down at the shoreline with an expression that pretty much describes to a tee how I feel at that moment...... I'm standing there feeling sorry for myself, debating on whether to go home and get my reel, or build sandcastles for the rest of the evening...

Jeff: 'Bud there's a spare reel in my bag' (you beauty ).....

I couldn't stop thanking him enough.... that is until I opened up the bag (Its a bait catcher , about 6 ft , with 4lb mono .... aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!

Soooo silently, not wanting to say a word I load it up and drag my sorry ass down to the tide, jelly bean bait on a whiting hook.... how bad can it get.

Jeff: I'm on!!!... up comes tailor number four, about 46cm, and in quick succession 5 & 6 start sliding their way up the beach..

About 2 hrs after I'd started with the bait catcher I had 1 dart to show for my mistake 40cm, the mate had 8 tailor from 35-46cm... In the end I'm sure he could feel my pain, he handed over his rod because......he wanted to clean his fish , or so he said..... I ended up getting a couple of choppers for dindins, both around 38cm.... So at the end of the day, this is the post, success in someways because the tailor are still around, and a lesson well learnt.... never again.... going again tonight never took any pics last night as I was having a moment

Hey mate, how recent was this session? might head down tonight & see if the tailor are still on too..have been contemplating going down but you have really made it clear there are acouple around, was just wondering how long ago this session was? thanks. & that wouldve been the biggest bummer not getting amongst any action.

Hey mate, how recent was this session? might head down tonight & see if the tailor are still on too..have been contemplating going down but you have really made it clear there are acouple around, was just wondering how long ago this session was? thanks. & that wouldve been the biggest bummer not getting amongst any action.

Hey buddy first sentence should give an idea, last night and I am going tonight, it was on from 2hrs before high till 2hrs after, where abouts are you headed?

Ahh okay, sorry the misunderstanding. yeah mate, i will be heading out to main beach with a mate to try my luck on the tailor, if there not on will be chasing dart & summer whiting.

you heading out again tonight? might see you out there mate,

gonna go early to try & scope out a gutter.

Hey buddy first sentence should give an idea, last night and I am going tonight, it was on from 2hrs before high till 2hrs after, where abouts are you headed?

Ahh okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. yeah mate, i will be heading out to main beach with a mate to try my luck on the tailor, if there not on will be chasing dart & summer whiting.

you heading out again tonight? might see you out there mate,

gonna go early to try & scope out a gutter

If you jump onto surfcam Narrow Neck (High) and Surfers Paradise (high) it'll give you a pretty good head start as to where the gutters are, I finish at 5pm, so won't be there till a little while after, def before the high tide though... Be good to meet you guys.

Cheers

Vic

I see Moses, has already gotten in to his report of last nights escapades....

One thing I must say, once I met up with the boys and we got into it, I think it was one of those more enjoyable times, spent on the beach. They say 'Fishing' is a relaxing Sport/Hobby, our mate Moses was like an Energizer Battery... Couldn't keep track of him, he was here, there, and everywhere, all done at 100mph....I had to tell him to slow down a bit as I thought he was in danger of tripping over and hurting himself on the way down to the shore break to cast his rod.

My night hadn't actually started with the boys up near Main Beach, I'd gone down to Broad Beach, for a quick sesh, have had fairly good results from there in the past and, I'm quite familiar with the fishing from Surfers up to the Spit... I wanted to get a better idea from Surfers, towards the opposite direction. Finished work at 5pm, in Broady by 6pm, line in the water 6.02pm at that time the wind was still up a little, but was steadily dropping off as the temp cooled, moon was at 99% full, so it looked absolutely spectacular, glimmering across the surface.

5mins into it, I'm standing there...(As you do :whistle: ), contemplating the finer things in life, when Whhhaaammmm!!! zzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzz...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Goddam thing wouldn't stop, after it had gotten through a quarter of my spool, I'm thinking, better do something buddy or you aint gonna have anything left...Tightened up the drag some more to slow this "Thing"(Shark was my guess???), down...but uuummmm yeah that didn't work.....My poor poor rod, at one point I think she had just about gotten to the point where enough was enough. All form and technique had flown out the window, and I was basically, shittin bricks...

At the halfway mark on the spool now and still, no slowing, dozen or so spectators watching...decision time aaaahhhhhh fudge it....Ggggggggrrrrrrrr!!!!.... Me or you big boy, so, my turn......Here we go... drag tightened up....and lif/snap!!!!!.... :sick: :sick:

:blink: (ID PLEASE!!!) :unsure:

Wound the line in to find the gangy's had snapped under the first hook, second and third had been straightened!! :blink: (Well at least my knots held :blush: )

way too under gunned for this carry on, is what I thought after that encounter, damn lets do it again , re-rigged threw in and waited about another 15mins, yep.....I'm on, cut a long story short it was a salmon....7-8lb... After that I decided to head off to Main Beach to the boys..... From here we move onto chapter 2 which is proudly brought to you by......Author: (MosesNguyen)

Tight Lines All

Vic

Going over the weekend, even if it was bucketing down, back in NZ, "Rain" was probably one of the best times to get out there... Have noticed here, if there is a slight chance of moisture in the air a lot of 'resident fisherman',.....(give it a miss).... Will give the run-down on Monday??? Have a good weekend all. I'm out.....

Vic

Yeah thats true..didnt even know if its raining, fishing is good in NZ..monday sounds good haha ;)

Going over the weekend, even if its bucketing down, back in NZ, "Rain" was probably one of the best times to get out there... Have noticed here, if there is a slight chance of moisture in the air a lot of 'resident fisherman',.....(give it a miss).... Will give the run-down on Monday??? Have a good weekend all. I'm out.....

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Moses, good to see you again last night, its a pity you didn't stay. About an hour after you left the wind dropped right off and the fish came on... I got 7 tailor, Jeff got 4 tailor, 2 shovel noses (threw them back), 1 flat head, and a nice bream... hope your flick in the river was productive...

Hey vic, yeah it was good to see you still trying for the tailor at this time of year, DAMN! i missed out..thats alright, theres always next time..any od larger green backs in the mix or just the choppers again? what kindve size where they on average? wouldve been a blast for you & jeff!

yeah flick in the river was productive, managed 6 bream with 3 going 30+cm, a small 37cm jack a clawless legal muddie in a cast net & 2 flatties around the 45cm mark & a large pike on a vibe,

so didnt go to bad considering the wind haha.

post-9733-144598701159_thumb.jpg

Hey Moses, good to see you again last night, its a pity you didn't stay. About an hour after you left the wind dropped right off and the fish came on... I got 7 tailor, Jeff got 4 tailor, 2 shovel noses (threw them back), 1 flat head, and a nice bream... hope your flick in the river was productive...

Archived