Gold Coast Whiting

youngy

Hi guys, had a request from one of a friend who lives no where near the Goldy to show them the right consistency mud for digging blood worms.

I figured that seeing how they were from the otherside of town i could find a place to show them,

grabbed a few worms and they handled the dirty job quite well.

Once we had worms there was only one thing to do and that was see if there were some fish around, fish are a lot further upstream than i would have expected at this time of year.

Took a couple of stops but found some nice fish, with the best going 41, 42 and 43cm, there were plenty of small ones under 40cm as well.

All fish released as was part of the deal, unfortunately my deckie for the day is the shy, retiring type like me and didn't want their photo taken just their fish.

Another relaxing day in the company of another keen fisherman, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598699077_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598699083_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598699089_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598699092_thumb.jpg

nice stuff Youngy, was wondering when using these worms do use the whole worm they are quite long arn't they? Also what size hook, and how do you put them on? Do you just thread them over the hook? Sorry for all the silly Qs but I csn only hope to catch a whiting like that. Awsome fish mate.

Buy Bush 'n' Beach mate, he has a full write up in there that answers all those questions and more

Stonker fish mate, killin' it as usual!

Hattori Hanzo, i could write a couple of hundred words trying to explain the questions you ask, but like they say a picture paints a thousand words, so here is a couple of photos.

One shows the Length of worms we dig, each one of these would make 4 baits.

Another shows how they are rigged, the hook on the left is baited terribly, the hook on the right is what you want your bait to look like, basically you want it to look like food not bait.

Last picture shows hook size, short shank size 6, these are very small hooks but whiting have a very small mouth, also you can make a more attractive bait without using a lot of worm.

Blood worms are too hard to dig or expensive to buy to waste filling a big hook up, hope this helps, anything else just ask this is how i learnt, cheers wayne

post-7760-144598699845_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598699848_thumb.jpg

post-7760-144598699854_thumb.jpg

useful information youngy, appreciate the response, was just wondering, whats your pb summer whiting mate?

Hattori Hanzo, i could write a couple of hundred words trying to explain the questions you ask, but like they say a picture paints a thousand words, so here is a couple of photos.

One shows the Length of worms we dig, each one of these would make 4 baits.

Another shows how they are rigged, the hook on the left is baited terribly, the hook on the right is what you want your bait to look like, basically you want it to look like food not bait.

Last picture shows hook size, short shank size 6, these are very small hooks but whiting have a very small mouth, also you can make a more attractive bait without using a lot of worm.

Blood worms are too hard to dig or expensive to buy to waste filling a big hook up, hope this helps, anything else just ask this is how i learnt, cheers wayne

[attachment=41671]IMG_0092.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=41672]P2270052_2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=41673]P1090253_2.jpg[/attachment]

Sorry Moses, i wasn't ignoring your question, i only just noticed it mate, old age i'm afraid nothing i can do about it.

My PB is a couple at 45cm, have seen a 47cm one that was caught in tally Creek.

PB this year is 44cm, they do grow to 50cm, a fish that size would really give you some grief, cheers wayne

Archived