Oh yeah!....this could be my first bullie....oh no

webbfunk

Went down the river near Indooroopily golf course the other week for a session in the morning. Trying to chase some little bullsharks.

Got a big hit, hooked him, and then he kept running under the pontoon.

Finally got him out from under the pontoon, and up to the surface......quite excited as to what it was going to be..........

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC_3761_AFO.jpg

post-733-144598415278_thumb.jpg

...and as luck would have it a stingray appeared.

I really didn't want to lose my rig, and cut it. I ended up saving the snapper lead sinker, but cut the rest.

Is it standard procedure to just cut stingrays free?....I've seen people handle them and get hooks out on some dvds.

I was going to risk it...... [img size=332]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC_3765_AFO.jpg

post-733-144598417631_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I think the bull sharks wont come back on till around september/october. But if i get a stingray i just cut it and try to save as much gear as i can without putting my arm/hand at risk.

But i mainly fish from boats and i wouldn't want a ray in the floor of a tinnie.

ellicat wrote:

Tim a wrote:
They're good fun, why doesn't everyone like them? Better fight that most other things!

Ellicat, I think we do, Troy and I saw a few ray's jumping at straddie would that be them?

??? You mean Gazza ?

Your right, sorry! Just not used to have this many members:silly:

i still cant belive that ray angus!.:blink: ...for anyone that hasnt seen that pic b4...angus trolled up that ray on a lure from a kayak in ningi creek!...that was a first for me to see....im sure letting them go with a hook stil in em wont damage em too much thou...i wouldnt muck with them if ya dont know what ya doing with em...i let em have the hook.....

We get Eagle Rays here, we see them all the time out in the Bay. I pick up the smaller rays and get my hooks out, but if it is a big ray I just cut it and try to save as much gear as possible. But if the hook is in the corner of the mouth, I use pliers to get it out.

That's the same spot I often fish to kill time. Never seen anyone else fish there. If you want a tip go the last hour or two before high tide and throw baits right into those snags near where that jetty building boat is and you'll catch keeper size bream. Good fun cause you have to yank em out of the snags. you can use the tide with light led to drift you bait in there too. There's also some monster catties there.

Archived