First jack for the season

Shane69

Patients finally paid off tonight.

Been chasing jacks like a mad man for the past few weeks. Tried all over Nerrang, Currumbin and Coomera. Land based and on my boat. Had heaps of runs but no real hookups. Tried deep diving lures, vibes,transams, surface poppers and live bait. I caught over well over 15 flathead over 50 bream, a few nice trevelly, pike and heaps of summer witing while chasing jacs.

Tonight finally paid off.

Original plan was to hit up mud in the afternoon fish the sunset and than come into the river and chase some jewies on plastic. But due to the high wind plans were changed and we decided to give coomera another crack. I was going to take my 8 foot tinny out which has a 2hp yamaha on it and go right in the canals in coomera and fish with lures and plastic but due to rain we decided to take my big boat out so its more comfortable.

We got to Coomera around 5 and started fishing a few spots we have had luck over the years and also few mates have got jacks there this year.

First cast, the second the lure hit the water i got a smashed. It busted me off.

I was using 8lb fireline with 10lb fluro carbon trace.

Decided to fish a bit heavier trace this time and rerigged 20lb trace.

While i rigged up my mate got a smashed on gulp 3inch banana and this thing ran him straight in the snags.

A few casts and i was on to a nice little jack. It fought very well for its size. Got him in the boat and he went to 38cm.

It got dark so we left and decided to go look for some live bait. Got a few poddy mullet and herring

We anchored in one of the canals when it started to rain. Sat there with livies out and fished plastics. My livie got smashed to what looked like a small jewie but when it came next to the boat it was a 53cm greenback Taylor. Didnt think we would get them this deep in the river.

It went quite for a bit and than my live bait rod when nuts. We thought it was another jack but when it came next to the boat it was a nice cod. I reckon around the 60-70 mark. To me it seemed he had swallowed the hook, the minute we put the net in the water he just spat the hook out.

I was pretty annoyed with that as i told my mate to get net ready while i was fighting the fish but he was too busy playing with his phone. So the blame went on him for losing the fish.

After that it just went quite so we decided to change place and hit up another spot.

The other place was quite too but it was keeping us dry from the spitting rain. We decided to stay there till we ran out of live bait and head off home.

Few minutes later my live bait rod went off again and this time i made sure he was hooked on. After a good fight on light gear a nice 47cm jack came up.

We had about 5 more bustoffs at the same place in the next 10-15 minutes. These fish were smashing the live bait and going straight into the snags. No way we could have stopped them with the gear we were using.

After that we decided to call it a night. My mate didnt catch a jack but he caught alot of bream on gulp banana prawn and ghost blades.

We didnt get any proper photo with the fish when caught because i left my phone in car because it was raining and my mates phone did not have a camera.

Next time we going to take heavier gear so we can hopefully stop the ones that got away tonight.

Shane

post-9281-144598702435_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598702448_thumb.jpg

post-9281-14459870246_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598702471_thumb.jpg

nothing wrong with keeping them, its' just a good idea thats all.

no need to be harsh.. :blink::blink:

Pity there not out there to fight another day!

Im sure theres enough jacks in coomera mate.

Mosses what are you thanking his post for.

Its not like you throw legal fish back.

yes, it is up to the individual whether they keep or release a legal sized fish, after all,we each live to our own beliefs/standards.

May I suggest, (that if the esky in the photo with the tailor and small jack in it, is your keeper esky),each time you head out hoping to catch a feed,you splurge out with atleast $3.50 - $4.50 for a block/bag of ice to keep your catch in good condition and for better eating quality.

yes, it is up to the individual whether they keep or release a legal

sized fish, after all,we each live to our own beliefs/standards

May I suggest, (that if the esky in the photo with the tailor and small jack in it, is your keeper esky),each time you

head out hoping to catch a feed,you splurge out with atleast $3.50 - $4.50 for a block/bag of ice to keep your catch

in good condition and for better eating quality.

I normally throw most my fish back except flathead snapper and odd jew.

Thanks mate yeah i have realised it keeps it fresher. We nornally take ice but that trip was rushed. We kept the fish in water lol. The spitting rain made rush to get in water and find somewere under cover. He went half way in the river and had to come back to boat ramp again because we forgot smokes in the car :evil:

Archived