Mud island and spot in river

Shane69

Went out to mud 4am to chase some snapper and tuna on plastics and bait. Dropped a few pots on the way too. It was a bit choppy in the morning.

Didnt have much luck with bait so started fishing plastic. Got few undersize snapper in the early hours of morning. Chased some tuna around for bit. Hooked up twice but got busted off. Had to use light gear to get the 8 gram twistie out far because fish were not taking bigget slugs. A few long tail out too. Scored few chopper tailor too that varied from 35-50cm.

Had a few more drifts and got 3 nice grassy sweetlip 38-45-51cm on floated pillchards. Picked up a nice 56cm tiger flathead on gulp banana prawn too.

Boat traffic was crazy around the shallows. It made it hard to keep a constant drift going. We decided to call it a day around 10 and head back.

It was pretty calm on way back. We decided to give another spot in river and fish the tide change. Anchored up and floated out pillchards and used talyor fillets. Caught few catfish at first. As the current picked up the squire came on chew. We bagged out in 30 minute. 8 nice legal squire ranging from 40 to 50cm. Most of them caught on taylor fillet.

We checked our pots and got two nice bucks too.

It was a good day out but way too many boats out at mud.

Sorry no photos as posting from phone.

Shane

was at mud sat morn aswell lots of chopper tailor around

Yeah we got ours really early in morning on the eastern side. At first we thought it was tuna because they were going nuts.

Soo many boats outin the morning. Howd you go mate.

It was okay for us the fish were not biting at mud. If it wasnt for river we would have only caught only few fish.

Good stuff Shane

We had our own fun on the weekend!

Must catch up for a fish again

Blair

Yeah for sure mate

I saw the report Congrates on your big squire.

Haha looks like your a resident at Harries now. I still havnt been there. Was going to buy a hand held gps last weekend but have my boat up for sale and next one i get im going to get lowrance like yours. I am sick of going to mud its same all the time. Been chasing snapper in the river and being having more luck than i ever had at mud.

You should come jack fishing sometime its soo much different. I got some spots that hold big jacks, but getting them out of the snag and in the boat is a mission.

Let it get a bit hotter and like i said il take you to my redclaw spot.

Shane

Good stuff Shane

We had our own fun on the weekend!

Must catch up for a fish again

Blair

Yeah for sure mate

I saw the report Congrates on your big squire.

Haha looks like your a resident at Harries now. I still havnt been there. Was going to buy a hand held gps last weekend but have my boat up for sale and next one i get im going to get lowrance like yours. I am sick of going to mud its same all the time. Been chasing snapper in the river and being having more luck than i ever had at mud.

You should come jack fishing sometime its soo much different. I got some spots that hold big jacks, but getting them out of the snag and in the boat is a mission.

Let it get a bit hotter and like i said il take you to my redclaw spot.

Shane

Mate would love too. Were you floating out the pillies unwighted?

was at mud sat morn aswell lots of chopper tailor around

Yeah we got ours really early in morning on the eastern side. At first we thought it was tuna because they were going nuts.

Soo many boats outin the morning. Howd you go mate.

It was okay for us the fish were not biting at mud. If it wasnt for river we would have only caught only few fish.

was teaching a mate how to use lures we ended up with 2 snapper 50cm and 48cm, 1 tuskfish 42cm, 1 grassie 40cm,1 cod 52cm,1 flathead 43, 2 flounder, and various size tailor and bream all released. and plenty of bust offs, was quiet early then the bite picked up around 9am

You guys did really well hey. I have not caught a cod at mud yet.

I lost soo much plastics that due to grinners. Big ones too.

Did you see the dead turtle on eastern side next to bouy. It was massive and there was one back at white island channel if you come back st helena way. Wonder how they died

You guys did really well hey. I have not caught a cod at mud yet.

I lost soo much plastics that due to grinners. Big ones too.

Did you see the dead turtle on eastern side next to bouy. It was massive and there was one back at white island channel if you come back st helena way. Wonder how they died[/quote

thanks mate the fishing is usually a bit better but cant complain. mud has some really big resident cod, at times they take hooked pinkies :ohmy: . didnt see the dead turtles but could be a number of things old age or boat strike. mate if you want to know how to fish mud more effectively im getting my charter business up and running soon just let me know and i can send you some details.

cheers

Archived