What type is this

Lozzel

yep i find that area dies after rain:(

some nice shark bait you've got yourself there lozzel! Well I guess. Its been a long time since I've filleted a short-fin but from memory it smelt \"normal\" (or used one as bait ever). Anyone who has use a pike eel for bait will know what I mean! Man they reak but the bities like it!

• 2 weeks later...

big female short fin. males stay estuarine their entire lives and are much smaller generally. females swim as far as they can upstream, and can stay there for up to thirty years if they are landlocked. a bit of rain and they slither over land and downstream to creeks to make their way to sea to spawn. i've always been both terrified and intrigued by them! i think i would have let it go- no use to eat and not much fun to play with! if you want to eat an eel try a long fin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to disagree with the resident experts (usually leads to insults being flung on forums), but the fish in question is actually a long finned eel (Angiulla reinhardtii). The easy way to distinguish these from short finned is in the origin of the dorsal fin. As clearly shown in the first photo, the origin of the dorsal in long finned eels is forward of the anal fin origin. In the short finned eel (A australis), both fins are the same length, ie. start the same distance from the snout. Long finned eels are usually spotted when in freshwater while short finned eels rarely carry spots.

The long finned is by far the most common eel in the freshwater reaches of the Brisbane River (and all of Qld’s freshwater streams). These fish, especially the large ones make great cut baits for sharks in Moreton Bay.

Although short finned eels do occur in S.E Qld (the northern limit of their range) they are most common in Vic, Tas and N.Z.

Good to hear from you Neil I used to read your articles on fishnet but they have stopped, I learnt alot from you about trolling for bass, Go the boomerangs so can you start to report on here for us I would love to hear how somerset is fishing and any of the other Impoundments

cheers Stu

STU wrote:

Good to hear from you Neil I used to read your articles on fishnet but they have stopped, I learnt alot from you about trolling for bass, Go the boomerangs so can you start to report on here for us I would love to hear how somerset is fishing and any of the other Impoundments

cheers Stu

i second that stu good to have you aboard neil cant wait to read some reports from you

• 7 months later...

Archived