Offshore later in the week

tugger

That was my plan as well, try and head out and catch some of these unstoppables that you talk of ;) Maybe my popping gear 130lb main line and 200lb leader might have a chance of stopping them. Hopefully heading out sunday or monday or hopefully both. Hopefully pull out a few GT's or kingies, maybe even a rogue spaniard.

Andrew

I've stopped them before on my bigger gear and pulled some huge GTs and kingies out but most of the time they are taking our gear we are targetting snapper with of 30lb mono

That was my plan as well, try and head out and catch some of these unstoppables that you talk of ;) Maybe my popping gear 130lb main line and 200lb leader might have a chance of stopping them. Hopefully heading out sunday or monday or hopefully both. Hopefully pull out a few GT's or kingies, maybe even a rogue spaniard.

Andrew

We are always getting dusted up by GT's when fishing 30lb, every now and then we land one but the odds aren't good. The gear we use to target them is not real sporting on most types of bye catch but some times it is the only thing to stop them in their tracks before busting you off on the reef. Just interested in what you think a lot of them are as we have had very little luck at boat rock, to be honest we don't target it too often, but haven't raised a scale on the big gear. Have you seen any sign of the speedsters yet, we lost a decent spaniard two weeks ago and apparantley there are a few hoo hanging around.

Yes I have popped 130lb on a fish, don't ask me how was not a knot failure, also have had them cut the line with their tail flutes, but have never had a snag as all surface fishing with this combo. Don't think you could intentially break the line without stuffing your reel, the weakest part of this combo is the person holding onto it.

Hopefully taking out a couple of mates on the weekend, and watch them get thrown all around the boat like rag dolls if they hook up. :woohoo: Taking out mark (plasticfantastic) so no doubt he will hook them up as per fishing rules they will always take the lightest combo.

Andrew

i wish i was going but it doesn't look like my regular skipper is going to head out so if anyone has a spare seat on a boat i'm willing to sit in it and chip in to help cover costs. got my own gear and don't get seasick!

edit - brisbane, gold or sunshine coast!

Archived