Time of day, tide, solar/lunar - which ?

mee

Advice on best fishing times is often based of time of day (e.g. early or late in day), tide (e.g. top or bottom of tide, or incoming/outgoing tide), or solar/lunar predictions on when they'll most likely be feeding.

Often these do not coincide. I was wondering what people think is most important. So, as often happens, if there is a choice, which way would you choose the best time to go fishing?

Advice on best fishing times is often based of time of day (e.g. early or late in day), tide (e.g. top or bottom of tide, or incoming/outgoing tide), or solar/lunar predictions on when they'll most likely be feeding.

Often these do not coincide. I was wondering what people think is most important. So, as often happens, if there is a choice, which way would you choose the best time to go fishing?

It depends on what fish your chasing mate. If i have free time for a fish ill start pre-dawn regardless of anything.

Then depending how the morning starts and whats happening with the tide etc will determine where i go next.

Eg - ill hit the canals landbased predawn in search of any trevs on surface etc then if tides going down ill move onto a sandbank for the runout and see if i can get stuck into the flatties waiting for bait to be washed by the current

I tried to decide which I think is the most critical and I struggled to make up my mind, finally decided on tide.

I reckon its wholly species, season, and spot dependent though, I reckon you can't just make a blanket decision like 'high tide is the best for fishing anywhere and anytime'.

A spot I fish regularly when I'm at home comes to mind; over the years have learnt that it will fire in a daytime warm sunny day in winter in the last 2 hours of the ebb on small half moon tides, but in summer it fires at night on or close to the full moon in the first hour of the ebb. This is not always the case but results over the years certainly point to these being by far the most productive periods.

Thanks for the replies.

I see what you mean. Different fish, and different spots, are going to have their own characteristics.

As a kid my parents and grandparents were keen fishermen and they mostly relied on tide times for fishing from land, or near land from a dinghy. I became aware that late afternoon or early morning were good fishing times later on. Having recently read up on sol/lunar predictions, and I have just tried that method a few times recently, without huge success. For example, I ended up fishing in the middle of the day, mid-tide outgoing, and got nothing but nuisance fish.

I will continue to experiment with local spots to see what works best for me, but, gut-feel says the right tide in the morning/afternoon will work best more often than not.

Theres an article in this answer, but short answer is I just go when ever I can and and make the most of it. Only through experience will you learn what works best in your local fishing areas.

In general I prefer the run out tide or tide changes and first light leading up to the full or new moon.

The guys in upper posts have well said. Since i almost just fish landbased, I found that sometimes a good wind can produce lots of good size fish. So i prefer to fish in the windy and rainy day where other guys are packing and going home.

One month ago, i was fishing near redcliffe in a jetty. There were 3 boys from Ipswich doing a fishing trip with their parents. We were kind good to fish together and we land some small breams and tailors. When the clock hit 1pm, it started raining, those guys packed and left. i didnt have much things to do that day so i decided to stay.

From the wind pick up and rain starts to the sun came out again was just 15 mins, I landed 10 breams, minimum size was 28cm. And I believed what i saw, when i was dehooking the fish, I saw a shape of a GT jumping out of water just around 50 meters away. That was amazing....

But when the weather gone, wave calmed down, everything back to normal.

The other guy i fishing with, he told me that when the water calm like a mirror, he will not fish.

This is just my experience, I am just a beginner into fishing so wish to share my story with u. haha

Hook more fish!

The guys in upper posts have well said. Since i almost just fish landbased, I found that sometimes a good wind can produce lots of good size fish. So i prefer to fish in the windy and rainy day where other guys are packing and going home.

Yes, I have been told that the weather can make a big difference to how well the fish will bite. Good point.

Archived