Brisbane River sandcrabs

tradie

After buying myself a little 4.10m stessco tinny, I thought i'd better hit the boss up for some holidays, so hello one and a half weeks holiday:D

When ever im fishing in the river every now and then there seems to be a dead weight on my line, as I would bring my line up id see the odd mud crab or sandcrab let go at the water line. So I thought right time to start crabbing this river.........As the usual fish shop on Lytton Rd sadly caught fire I was in search of another fish shop close by and thought id give "Raptis" a go. 1X10KG box of sea mullet for $20 thought this will do!

So last Thursday and Friday I threw some pots in and had a little luck:) Checking the pots every 30-45min id have 2 or 3 sand crabs each time. Thursday I threw the crab pots in not far from the tug boats and picked up 10 keepers for the day. Even tho I was really targeting mud crab seems only the odd female and bloody little bream!! Thursday night I took the risk and left the pots in over night seeming I caught a few that day and surprise nothing in the morning. Friday decided to move the pots and picked up another 9 sandcrabs closer to the gateway bridge. Again left the pots in Friday night and when I came back early in the morning there was only 3 in my pots but in the space I where I had dropped my 4 pots someone had come along must have checked my pots cleaned them out and dropped their own 4 pots in-between mine, dam rude!

No crabbing over the weekend but shall be on the river again tomorrow morning so heres hoping I will be able to post more success. Two photos to upload as I took the photos of the crabs Friday night I the 3 I caught Saturday morning missed the photo, all in all 22 sandcrabs in 2 days I thought was alright.

post-5874-144598708203_thumb.jpg

post-5874-144598708213_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Good to see the sandies coming in again, I often drop a few pots across from tuggers and get a couple but yeah if you don't keep an eye on your pots they get raped. The pro crabber on the white boat has a habbit of lifting reco pots.

Yea seems to be plenty of sandies in the river at the moment and yea the bastereds that lift pots god they make my blood boil. Seems the only real safe way is to fish close by and keep an eye on them. Ive even had my pots stolen in the past!!! These must be those nice thiefs that are only after the crabs

great work! looks like you got a good sandie spot now ehh :lol:

would moved the bastards pots away considering he tampered with yours.

Yea mate I was bloody pissed, I mean how stupid to check my pots and then set your own pots amonst mine! There was a mobile number on his floats, I felt like giving him a call.........enjoy my crabs!

Set out again this morning to try my luck again and sink a few pots in my usual spot. After setting my pots up I decided to just putt across the river to have a fish so I could also keep an eye on my pots at the same time. And surprise surprise just as "keen-as-fisho" said a white tinny swooped in on my pots and within about 2 min I had my lines in anchor up and was heading back over to see what he was upto. As he saw me coming over he had one of my floats right next to his boat and I asked him what he was doing and he replyed "oh hey mate I have not been on the water in ages and this used to be my favourite spot thought id drop a few pots. To which I replied really out of all this river you wanna put pots right next to mine. I set up not to far from him to keep a good eye. He did set up his pots and drop them in right next to mine. About an hour later I checked the pots again and had bugger all so lifted my pots and moved them up the river where I picked up 6 sandcrabs. Had a fish but only a couple small snapper. Bit windy on the river so called it a day

Moral of this story dont let your pots outta sight!

Archived