Hello members, help required

wantsbiggerfish

Hello all,

Im a brand new member and brand new to fishing. I am thinking that by joining i should be able to get as much information from you all so as to increase my luck when it comes to fishing. As of yet i havent caught a fish that is of legal size to take home. Then again the only area i have tried so far is Southport around past sea world. I have all the gear thanks to my local tackle world and birthday gifts. I have tried soft plastics and hard lures but am not having any luck. Sunday just past i was fishing off the sand pumping jetty at southport where i could actually see the fish in the water and i still couldnt get them to bite, i was using prawns as bait. I dont have access to a boat for the next month and need some advice as to places to fish and perhaps someone may now what im doing wrong?

HELP i wanna catch something worth while.....

thanks in advance

if you want to get onto some legal fish at the moment landbased your best bet at the moment would be some whiting, try using some blood worms or small nippers(yabbies) find some good sand flats, there is a good area on the south side of Ephrim Is bridge that produces some good size ones

here is some tips from the resident whiting expert Youngy, on the best way to fish for them

Everybody will have their own opinion and i am happy to read anybody elses ideas as this is how we all learn.

This is my way.

I use 2 different type of rods i use 1 is a 10 foot 6 ins light eastuary rod, the other is a 6 foot light boat rod

Both have 6lb line, trace length is over a metre.

4 ball sinker on big rod 3 ball on small rod, no4 short shank hook on both rods.

I only use bloodworms for bait, i have used every other bait imaginable to try and catch whiting and have found worms to be the most consistant and best.

I never burley as this only attracts bream not whiting and as i am a whiting fisherman i hate bream, worms are to expensive to waste on Bream.

I never drift for whiting in our rivers down here,river whiting are fat and lazy and have no need to chase a moving bait also the hook up rate is not good.

Their is no best time to catch whiting you can catch them day or night, winter or summer.

Some anglers have a prefference with tide but to me it doesn't matter, run in or out they will be there somewhere feeding.

Buy or castnet yourself a mullet, fillet and slice off pieces ~ 3cm x 1cm. Hook through once on about a no1 or 1/0 hook of whatever style you have, with a 00 ball sinker sitting above it. Option 2 buy some servo pillies and cut them in halves, put the hook all the way (from tail or eye) through once then into the thicker part of the body toward the back, halfhitch the tail if using that end.

8ft is a good size land based and if you are tossing plastics I guess the line is 6kg or less so shouldnt be a problem there. Plenty of flats and rocky areas around there, might lose a bit of gear but there should be some legals willing to jump on with perseverence.

Hello all,

Im a brand new member and brand new to fishing. I am thinking that by joining i should be able to get as much information from you all so as to increase my luck when it comes to fishing. As of yet i havent caught a fish that is of legal size to take home. Then again the only area i have tried so far is Southport around past sea world. I have all the gear thanks to my local tackle world and birthday gifts. I have tried soft plastics and hard lures but am not having any luck. Sunday just past i was fishing off the sand pumping jetty at southport where i could actually see the fish in the water and i still couldnt get them to bite, i was using prawns as bait. I dont have access to a boat for the next month and need some advice as to places to fish and perhaps someone may now what im doing wrong?

HELP i wanna catch something worth while.....

thanks in advance

have you considered going out with a charter operator who concentrates on teaching lure techniques.

I believe BennyKenny was referring to Ephraim Island, Paradise Point.

Don't give up on your plastics either. I'm still not great with them but get some big flatties every so often (60cm last week :cheer: ).

I throw a baited line out while I'm flicking plastic so I'm not relying on my plastics skills. As I'm told, use natural colours, and don't use more weight than you need to get to the bottom.

4 inch brown Gulp minnow has been my most consistent for flatties.

That's great advice and I thank you for it. I haven't tried blood worms ( or heard of them haha ) so I'll ensure to get some of those on my next outing. Do you mind explaining where ephrim is? Never heard of that area.

Thanks again

yeah its around paradise point,any good bait shop should have live blood worms can be expensive though.

main beach look for some gutters & grab youself some beach worms or yabbies, chase dart, thereare afew around atm, or if you want something bigger you can try your luck with a ganged pilchard in a fishy looking gutter there are afew around, have caught afew within the last month or so.

Archived