More Sandcrabs thanks to the River

tradie

So still on holidays for the rest of this week what better way to spend my time off than fishing and crabbing :cheer: Since my last post where I took home 18 sandcrabs last Thur and Fri there was no fishing or crabbing over the weekend to keep the peace with the missus but come Mon this week I was back out on the river trying my luck. Mon,Tue,Wed this week conditions were not the best on the river and only managed to bag 10 sandcrabs over the three days and no fish!!!!

But today a little ray of sunshine. I left the pots in last night and was down at Colmslie at 445am to get out early enough to be the first to check my pots ;) And it paid off with 6 sandcrab keepers and id say about 8 bloody massive female muddies. God they need to change that law!!!! I went down the river for a fish as I was waiting to meet up with Zan0_15 to work on his boat trailer. And a nice little surprise a little snapper just shy of 400mm. Spend a hour or two helping zane work on his trailer and then got back out into the river. Picked up another 4 sandcrabs and could only manage to catch bloody catfish! As the conditions got worst I decided to call it a day and have left my pots in over night to see what tomorrow brings.........

Uploaded a pic of todays catch. So last Thur Fri 18 keepers and this week all up is now 16 keepers. The sandies are on!

Adam

post-5874-144598710484_thumb.jpg

hey guys just wondering whats the size and bag limits on sand crabs and mud crab?

and how many pots are u allowed person?

thanks

Hey "Mr_R" Here is a link to a help full site with alot of information on bag limits. "Blue swimmer crab all so know as sand crab in QLD the size for male only keepers is 11.5cm between the back notches, and there is no bag limit on them. As for mud crab which are also a male only keeeper they must be 15cm across the back between the notches, and there is a bag limit of 10 per person. There is a hell of alot more meat on mud crab but they are hard little buggers to find:D

You can only have 4 crab pots per person while on the water. Very important you cant even be found to be carrying more than 4 per person while on the water.

Stick to the rules mate and follow these web sites as breaking the rules just isnt worth it!

Hope this helps..... if anyone has anything else to add please do:D

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3042.htm

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3065.htm

Mate if I took a feed like that home of crabs id get thrown out the house every morning to go grabbing leave passes would be a thing of the past

Hahahahahah "pancakes_and_haggis" my mrs is pretty dam good and understanding of my love for fishing and crabbing. But I live by the motto "HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE"!!! A good balance of both and everyone is happy.

Hey Adam

Any tricks on bait? What do you find works best for Sandies?.

Ta

Blair

Hey "blairv" its all about trial and error. I find what works one day doesnt work the next. The old humble sea mullet for me has always been old faithfull! I find two decent sea mullet per pot are ideal. I usually cut the sea mullet into 3's to really get the burley affect going when the pots are in the water. Other people use chicken frames, fish frames, canned cat food or even types of red meat. I usually check them every 30 to 40 min and if there are crabs in my pot drop them back down and try again! I find if the pots have been down and there is nothing in there maybe move them as different spots for me work at different times of the day and tide but again this is all trial and error. Make sure if the area you are crabbing is known to be fast moving current that your pots are heavy duty and heavy enough that they dont get taken away in the current!

Hope this helps mate but my best advice just keep trying differnt spots till you have success

Hey Adam

Any tricks on bait? What do you find works best for Sandies?.

Ta

Blair

Hey "blairv" its all about trial and error. I find what works one day doesnt work the next. The old humble sea mullet for me has always been old faithfull! I find two decent sea mullet per pot are ideal. I usually cut the sea mullet into 3's to really get the burley affect going when the pots are in the water. Other people use chicken frames, fish frames, canned cat food or even types of red meat. I usually check them every 30 to 40 min and if there are crabs in my pot drop them back down and try again! I find if the pots have been down and there is nothing in there maybe move them as different spots for me work at different times of the day and tide but again this is all trial and error. Make sure if the area you are crabbing is known to be fast moving current that your pots are heavy duty and heavy enough that they dont get taken away in the current!

Hope this helps mate but my best advice just keep trying differnt spots till you have success

Thanks Adam some good advise there. Have crabbed the river for muddies but never sandies. I always find mullet the go as well. Got 10 around Wellio and Green last week.

fellas give the old diver whiting frames a go and see how u go.will beat mullet by a long way.tradie give the 1st green beacon out from pinkinba a go u will get better catch on an overnite soak...u wont just get sandies there but good muddies up to 2.5 kilo.

Cheers for the tip rosco will have to give that a go and shall post my winnings:D

Cheers for the posts Milan and MosesNguyen. Has been a great week! Went out this morning to collect my pots and again plenty of female crabs but a nice surprise my first male muddie keeper for the week. I will never get sick of eating crabs mate coz funny enough im actually allergic to crabs and prawns, throat blows up and I stop breathing so yea they are not for me but im just mad keen on catching them so that works for me:D

Adam

Archived