Heated SP session on brissy river!

Ended up finishing my last uni exam for the year yesterday morning..thought i deserved a hard erned fish..instead of opting for the usual bait, i gathered two mates (brenton & Andy) together & headed down to my brissy river hot spot. we left at 7pm hoping to fish 1hr before high & 2hrs after high.

Upon arrival we could see plenty of surface action fish busting up little bait fish, i headed around the bend & could see a large school of mullet around the 5" size schooling up close to shore. decided to flick out a 5" squidgies on a 1/4ounce, after about 10 cast & no luck i thought it was time to change. thought id go heaver & put on a 1/2ounce with a 2 1/2" gulp banana prawn as the current was picking up..after about 5 casts, on the 2nd double twitch i got smashed!! it was putting up a real good fight! peeling line! after about 5mins of caressing it to shore i managed to land this nice lizard. Only had a 40cm ruler, so i was not sure of the size, will have to invest into a brag mat i think. :lol: I ended up deciding to take it home for dins, he measured 54cms.

post-9733-144598710757_thumb.jpg

I changed to another of the same, SP as the lizzard had ripped the sp in half, after re-rigging the sp onto the 1/2ounce jighead, about 4th cast in, the sp had just hitt the bottom & as i was about to twitch the rod, unexspectedly somthing hitt it! i was on yet again, put up a quick lil fight & got him ashore, this nice school jew measured 41cm.

post-9733-144598710767_thumb.jpg

As i let him go, he noticed the school of baitfish by the shore & started smashing them up for a second, tried to grab the cam out for a pic but he ran off just before i got the photo in.

NEXT CAST!!, i threw it out, it started to sink for about 2seconds, & BOOMMMMM! somthing absolutely smashed my sp as it only just began to sink. Hooked on for about 3seconds as it just kept peeling line, then i lost him....i was FURIOUS!! :sick: :sick:

this was the damage that fish had done to my sp..

post-9733-144598710776_thumb.jpg

it died down for about 5mins, probably 20th cast later on the sink, about a second in the water, BooMMMM! this thing hit like a freight train & nearly ran me into the snaggs, was lucky he tired just before the snag, after about 5mins of wrestling the thing, managed to pull this nice school jew ashore..he measure approx 55cm with the length of my shoe :lol::lol::lol:, this thing decided to give me a free shower upon release. :woohoo:

post-9733-144598710784_thumb.jpg

my mate brenton then landed a 38cm lizzard on the same sp setup which he kept for the table.

after that it quitened down & we left 5mins after landing that small flattie.

as we packed up the car, my mate stood on my rod tip & the second plastic running guide, it was my fault for leaving it on the ground.

post-9733-144598710792_thumb.jpg

any suggestions on where to get my rod tip/guide fixed cheap?

all in all it was a great night fishing baitless, although i manged to go through a packet & a half of gulp prawns it was worth every cent. ended up home by 11:00pm

hope you enjoy the read, thanks guys. :)

Moses Nguyen

its only the very tip thats broken of not much of the actual rod itself, will defs' get this thing fixed, i love it!

maybe too far down your rod to be worth fixing mate. Unless you can use it for something other than placcy's?

thanks tony! haha yeah, very big fan! never tried different sizes or colours, allways use to catch my fish on the gulp shrimp banana prawn colour in 2" but have now stocked up on acouple more other colours & a larger sized 3" in banana prawn colour, will see how i go.

Great session mate! I too am a big fan of 2" gulp shrimp.

You are making me really keen with these reports to come down to Brisbane for a fish with you mate!

You are also obviously a much better man than me, personally I would have gone for a night on the town (and woken up with a big hangover) after last exam for the year, rather than a night on the riverbank :evil: :sick:

hahaha! dont' worry tony, im opting for that situation tommorrow(sat night) valley!!

haha..sounds like you played it hard!

You are making me really keen with these reports to come down to Brisbane for a fish with you mate!

You are also obviously a much better man than me, personally I would have gone for a night on the town (and woken up with a big hangover) after last exam for the year, rather than a night on the riverbank :evil: :sick:

unlucky mate! im' sure youll get em at some stage, the gulp shrimps' are a deadly all purpose sp!

have any idea what they where mate?

Great session mate. I hit the pine early this morn and got monstered twice on the Gulp shrimps by unstoppables :(

kiwi ;)

:lol: . thats' alright mate, :)

Was a sandy mate, but thanks' for your concern. :)
great sesh mate would have been a good night out :) just to let you know that the legal size for flattys is 40cm, not 38 ;)

ahh haha sorry just assumed it was a dusky.. dunno why :blush:

hahaha! dont' worry tony, im opting for that situation tommorrow(sat night) valley!!

How nice that u have finished all ur exams, my last uni exam is on 17th...BUt hey i had enough... go fishing tmr...haha

I have done tip repair at the tackle world in sandgate....Great job, i remember it was 8 dollars....

Good work man! Can share the spot? haha.... And thx for reply my other marlin post mate :)

What do you mean played it hard, I'm 41 now and still playing it hard! Me and the missus just have to go to old people's bars now (where the cougars hang out :kiss: )

OK back to talking about fishing now...... :whistle:

yeah it feels so good! any longer & i wouldve' gone mental! what are you studying mate?

haha, where abouts' are ya headed mate?

wish there was a fishing rod repair place near Springfield, Ipswich area.

haha, saving the spot for BRC might share after it if your lucky :lol:

np man, its crazy how you just wanna catch a marlin straight up, not slow progression to catch larger sport fish & build up to the monster!

HAHAHAHAHA! you make me laugh tony!

What do you mean played it hard, I'm 41 now and still playing it hard! Me and the missus just have to go to old people's bars now (where the cougars hang out :kiss: )

OK back to talking about fishing now...... :whistle:

I know the feeling mate, im' only a recently converted sp lure fisho, have been using them for about 3months..its quite easy to learn if you have someone there to guide you through it the first few times. Give it a go mate! if you dont' have much luck ill invite you to fish with me one day suitable, & go through it with ya.

dont know how you guys do it i have no luck on soft plastics or lures :blink:

yea see i think my problem is i dont dont get out enough to fish them as i dont drive and only get to go when the misses has her rosterd days off from work. And also i think it's the whole colour selection thing lol to many to choose from at the moment i only have a few lures and sp's them being a pack of squidgie pro range lobby small size and 3 kamikazie blade lures purple colour and some small fork tail grubs in different colours

. I think my rod and thats fine usng a shimano fx 2500 reel with sufix duraflex line on a 7 foot 2 shimano et escape light rod

got the rod tip sused out for only $6, will have to get the plasic on the 2nd top ring fixed though.

try charltons at redbank

got the rod tip sused out for only $6, will have to get the plasic on the 2nd top ring fixed though.

try charltons at redbank

Mate, I am studying finance at UQ. Just back from first sess after exams. Fishing platform in redcliffe. Got 2 50ish flathead (dusk) and a huge PB sting ray. I have a 15-20kg class rod. 80 lb main line. 80 leader couldn't get it up, didnt have chance to at ke a photo leader broke up.... It was around 2.5m ish wide, may weight over 25 kg above..... It wa s cars y!!!!!

Haha..... Just wanna cha se. Tha t beauty.... Got a 15 kg cobia n today's sting ray , they r the Morgan I have so far....

Good luck for brc....... And I broke my shimano graphite rod today too> .<

Archived