Fishing rules and regulations

tiotony

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/11/10/190481_local-news.html

re: the article above.

This has been a heated issue in FNQ for a long time, about rules and regulations not applying to traditional owners. Personally I think the rules should apply to everybody in this enlightened day and age. Its upsetting to me when I personally see jungle perch being speared inside no fishing zones, buckets full of undersize crabs being taken, undersize barra being taken inside closed season etc etc. My missus, who is from Micronesia, loves fishing and cannot comprehend why rules apply to some and not others?

Any opinions/comments?

obviously this traditional hunting by traditional owners is not a multi-million dollar business that creates jobs and helps the Australian economy.

If it was Get-Up,PEW,and PETA would have it banned on cruelty grounds,and Bob Brown would take credit for it on behalf of The Greens.

Funny isn`t it,the afore mentioned groups are all for the protection of turtles and dugong where rec fishos and marine parks are concerned.

I think it is time to move on. Danny O'Shane talks about wanting Australia to be more inclusive yet doesn't want his people to be included in the laws for everyone else. If traditional hunting is to continue then it needs to be just that, traditional. My mate was up north a little while ago and went out fishing with a local, this guy basically took what he wanted and said he could because of traditional hunting laws. Somehow I don't think traditional methods included the use of modern fishing tools and power boats. It is a farce.

Archived