rayke1938

We arrived just after midday and unpacked and got on the water around 4pm just in time for the dark clouds to roll in. I got none yella around 35cm nbefore we had to hitail it due to the thunder etc. We arrived back to the ramp to find out that Grahams new electric winch would not work so we ended up getting drenched while we had to wind the boat up manually.

After the storm passed we had a play with the winch and found that it has a on off switch to enable the remote. :evil:

Hope tomorrow will be a better day.

Graham also left his landing net and gaff at home. :(

CHeers

Ray

About to conduct a banana search in boat.

Grahams shrimp pump burnt out overnight so all dead shrimp this morning.

Fuel hose connection came off fuel tank under casting deck whilst travelling on dam.

I dropped the only fish of the morning ( A silver that may have gone 25cm)

My Gunslinger and twinpower 1000 now residing in 60 feet of water. ( Knocked out of Berkley rodholder whilst retrieving anchor).

CHeers

Ray

Everybody is having problems I would like to know what got under my hat and bit the hell out of my head, after many sore lumps in my head then my left ear lymph node swole up, then this morning my left eye was closed up, it nearly stopped me from fishing, but was still able to cast in the right places for a few.

Sorry to hear about the run of bad luck down there, keep positive though

2 silvers and 5 yellas tonight cod still elusive gave up after trolling for 2 hours then bait fished.

Cheers'

Ray

nicce ray.. just across from the boat ramp, there is a little bay.. go about half way up that bay and fish alon the left hand side. there is usially a good school of yellas along there.. we got about 40 out from there not long back

5 yellas and 2 silvers last night. We tried new location for our shrimp pots overnight and only got 12 shrimp so we spent 6 hours trolling this morning for plenty of weed and snags but thankfully didnt lose any lures.

Met up with Big Al at the ramp. He was fortunate to be taken out by one of the locals and had a good morning

Few showers now but not much wind so looking forward to arvo session.

Cheers

Ray

About to conduct a banana search in boat.

Grahams shrimp pump burnt out overnight so all dead shrimp this morning.

Fuel hose connection came off fuel tank under casting deck whilst travelling on dam.

I dropped the only fish of the morning ( A silver that may have gone 25cm)

My Gunslinger and twinpower 1000 now residing in 60 feet of water. ( Knocked out of Berkley rodholder whilst retrieving anchor).

CHeers

Ray

Geez mate, I hope things get better for you soon :(

Maybe you and Booty should get together and cancel each other out :P

-Steve.

A few photos from this morning.

Its thirsty work trolling.

post-230-144598717992_thumb.jpg

Frequent stops to clear weed.

post-230-1445987180_thumb.jpg

Very thirsty.

post-230-144598718004_thumb.jpg

Graham was wondering why he wasnt getting any hits on this lure.

post-230-144598718008_thumb.jpg

Prickly pear all in flower.

post-230-144598718012_thumb.jpg

Ran into Steve Brooks and crew from DPI who had been doing an electrofish in the Locals rivers.

post-230-144598718016_thumb.jpg

They were removing earbones from the fish for research and measuring and sexing the fish.

One thing that surprised me was the fact that fish that were 65cm long were not sexually mature and yest there is a move to reduce the legal size of mrc.

post-230-144598718021_thumb.jpg

I got to hold this one .

It was taken in the macintyre at Goondiwindi.

post-230-144598718025_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ray

Back home a day early. We had another session on the yellas yesterday arvo but came in early cold and wet and then spent a fair while talking to Brian Dare and the DPI boys.

Talk about a dedicated bunch ! The hours and effort that they put in is amazing.

Woke up a bit late this morning to it still raining but off we went for some more yellas but the cold and wet got to us again so around 10 am we decided to pack it in and return home.

Didnt really count how many fish we caught but we brought home 8 yella fillets each and each of us scored a prized piece of cod from Brian. We ate 3 silvers and one yella whilst there and released all others.

Really glad that we went there and look forward to the next trip.

Got some more photos but cant locate the camera ATM

Cheers

Ray

Here are the last non fishing photos.

The drive out from Stanthorpe was really spectacular with lots of boronia and paper flowers in bloom. The country is the best looking in years. Reckon there will be a few new tractors and cars purchased by the farmers.

post-230-144598718265_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718257_thumb.jpg

Brian has a good selection of lures from the local cottage lure makers plus some of the better known ones.

Interesting lures from Jaz who have picked up the rights of the tenterfield darts and shrimps designed by the legendary Trevor Mcpheetors.

Also a good selection of Tom Barrats Gidgee lures.

Brian and Debby mentioned that in the future they have some exciting news about a new venture featuring handcrafted Australian lures.

Did you know that there are over 3000 Australian lure manufactures out there

post-230-14459871827_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718275_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718279_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718283_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718287_thumb.jpg

post-230-144598718292_thumb.jpg

CHeers

Ray

post-230-144598718292_thumb.jpg

Good report Ray, well done to highlight the work done by Brooksy, Dan and crew.

Looking forward to seeing the complete otilith data. Maturity of some fish is entirely age based and not related to size. Likely that impoundment fish which grow much faster in the food rich impoundments mature at a much larger size than wild fish.

One time we were out there and one of the crew was in the bad books with the wife as we stayed longer than planned. On the way home he grabbed a bunch of those yellow flowers. Of course they didn't last the trip home. The dead flowers were not welcomed and made things worse ! :lol: Apparently it's not the thought that counts :pinch:

Spectacular display though !!

Archived