finally got one

T Fisher

After looking at kayaks in the shops and on ebay for the past few months I finally picked up this Malibu Mini X today from BCF.

post-7578-144598719061_thumb.jpg

The guys there did me a good deal and I got a seat and paddle for only a small amount dearer than the Kayaks price.It is only about 2.7m long but can handle 150kgs I recon it will be perfect for skinny water at my local spots and should be good for colledges and around fernvale as well. I cant wait to get out there and catch a few but the areas I usually fish along the warrill creek and bremer river rose by 4-5 meters during the week and the river heights data still says the level is around 1m higher than usual so there would still be a fair bit of run in those areas. Might give it a miss till next weekend.

My young fella is still trying to decide his seating spot .

post-7578-144598719071_thumb.jpg

post-7578-14459871908_thumb.jpg

Hope to post some pictures of bass across my bow someday soon .

Nice one T, will defiantly have to hook up for another fish soon.

We're not going back to Vic now, and I'll have some time off over chrissy so maybe organise something then.

Good to hear you will be staying around I should also have time off over chrissy would be good to catch up again

Hey T Fisher let me know how stable these are, i was looking at these ones, they look alright

I took it out for a paddle at colledges today with the family tagging along. I weigh about 110 kg and I had my 4 year old son on it with me who weighs about 20 kg and it was very stable the nose went from side to side a bit till I got the stroke sorted out. I tried to stand up at one time but I got a bit shakey I may need a bit more practice at this as I am used to my 16 ft coleman canoe with outriggers. I tried to blood it today but had no luck .

nice, my mate has been telling me about air pressure and apparently bass wont bite at a low pressure i read online somewhere that air pressure of 1020+ is excellent for bass, 1015 is not ideal but you will get the one or 2, 1010 is no good at all... today i watched it get to 1009 so i didnt bother going out, yesterday it was about 1013 and my mate caught 3 and i caught 1 , but we did cover quite a bit of water on yaks just to get those fish, so maybe the theory is correct ?

I don't know mutch about pressure but I usually get a feeling the bass are on particularly when it looks like a storm building. But other times there won't be a cloud in the sky and it will be stinking hot and I just have to go try for them. Usually my gut feelings pay off.I also recon in the morning there is usually at least one about looking for breakfast.

Anyway back to the kayak best bit of gear I have bought for years.

nice, my mate has been telling me about air pressure and apparently bass wont bite at a low pressure i read online somewhere that air pressure of 1020+ is excellent for bass, 1015 is not ideal but you will get the one or 2, 1010 is no good at all... today i watched it get to 1009 so i didnt bother going out, yesterday it was about 1013 and my mate caught 3 and i caught 1 , but we did cover quite a bit of water on yaks just to get those fish, so maybe the theory is correct ?

Don't treat that as gospel mate, I've had fantastic days when the barometer has been reading below 1010.

As a general rule they do like an approaching storm when the air gets heavy but they can be caught when it's hot, cold, day, night, low pressure, high pressure. If they don't bite, start thinking about the way you fish and adjust to suit.

Archived