Wavebreak Island Marlin to Mackerel Social

tugger

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary i think i was the contact but had dropped my phone and didn't realise till hours later it had turned off so if your geting contact numbers it might be best to get at least 2 numbers for contact on the island for lifts over

I wasn't trying to call anyone out, I just thought it would be good to suggest having a backup plan (especially because I really should have called ahead once I realized I was running late :) ).

Besides, I just figured you were on an Optus plan and couldn't get any reception out there :P

i can't wait for this.

seeing as i've only ever accidently caught any mackeral or other pelagics (except on charter) and never a marlin, could someone post up what sort of gear we'll need?

wire - stranded v single strand & lb?

mono/flouro trace - lb?

hook sizes? i've got a few 5/0 maybe some 6/0 circles but will need to get more

lead? what sort and size? or is it best to float the snacks a few meters under a baloon (i've got balloons)

sorry tugger, only have braid on the rods so that will have to do, but to make it up to you i won't bring any plastics :whistle:

just want to stock up now before i forget and turn up with an empty tackle box!

I was also going to ask what knots on the rigs. I snell most hooks and have had a fair bit of luck with a 3 turn uni onto the swivel. I used to use a blood knot on the braid to a clip or swivel but I had a breakage the other week so might use something else now.

Maybe a few suggestions from everyone so we can all be ready with reliable gear.

Also for anchoring near the beach does everyone just run a second sand anchor to the bank.

bring some fenders if ya dont want ya boats smashing each other,on the turn of the tides the boats swing abit sides ways and somtimes boats rub.

and one other thing i have noticed that the buoncy rating of life jackets are no longer PDF 1,2 or3 it is now n50 n100, n150. and n165,. n150 is for off shore you now need a n150 buoency rated lifejacket and this new n150 exceeds the buoency levels of the older PDF 1 , i cant find any thing about if we need to upgrade all our life jackets to the new n150's to complie with a new rule if there is one that has been introduced. does any one have any knowledge on this,

i got 2 new n150 there definatly got more floatation than the PDF 1 there 50 bucks each.

mick

bring some fenders if ya dont want ya boats smashing each other,on the turn of the tides the boats swing abit sides ways and somtimes boats rub.

and one other thing i have noticed that the buoncy rating of life jackets are no longer PDF 1,2 or3 it is now n50 n100, n150. and n165,. n150 is for off shore you now need a n150 buoency rated lifejacket and this new n150 exceeds the buoency levels of the older PDF 3 , i cant find any thing about if we need to upgrade all our life jackets to the new n150's to complie with a new rule if there is one that has been introduced. does any one have any knowledge on this,

i got 2 new n150 there definatly got more floatation than the PDF3 there 50 bucks each.

mick

I was wondering about this as the bla kits have 100 jackets in them and I thought maybe that ment pfd1. Might have to do some research now....

cheers for the update Mick, here's the release from MSQ

new boating safety requirements

it says on the very last page

8.6.3 New requirement

The regulation will be amended to include AS 4758 as one of the Australian Standards acceptable for

PFDs.

The new AS 4758 PFDs are marked differently as specified below:

 PFD type 1 – level 100 or 150

 PFD type 2 – level 50

 PFD type 3 – level 50S (special purpose).

The inclusion of the AS 4758 PFD will have no economic impact on stakeholders as PFDs made to

the other Australian Standards will continue to be sold for some time.

PFDs made to the previous standards will be acceptable for use into the foreseeable future and stakeholders will not need to

replace their existing PFDs provided they are serviceable. Eventual retirement of the other standards

will be considered through national consultation.

we won't have to replace them for a while yet, but if you're going to go buy some PFD's may as well get the new ones

Everyone has got their own ideas on thi but this is what i use 27lb single strand wire for spotty macks with 4/0 big gun hooks that i run with pilchards baits

44lb single strand wire with 8/0 gamagatsu octopus hooks for live baiting and i run a treble hook as a stinger if the live baits are big

This is for mackerel and if the marlin are about i go to a gamagatsu circle hook on the live baits

The spanish and spotty mackerel were just starting to come on the bite before xmas on the gold coast then the swell came up and no one has been able to get out for a while so it pays to have wire rigs with the toothy criters around inshore

i can't wait for this.

seeing as i've only ever accidently caught any mackeral or other pelagics (except on charter) and never a marlin, could someone post up what sort of gear we'll need?

wire - stranded v single strand & lb?

mono/flouro trace - lb?

hook sizes? i've got a few 5/0 maybe some 6/0 circles but will need to get more

lead? what sort and size? or is it best to float the snacks a few meters under a baloon (i've got balloons)

sorry tugger, only have braid on the rods so that will have to do, but to make it up to you i won't bring any plastics :whistle:

just want to stock up now before i forget and turn up with an empty tackle box!

not sure if the subject has been touch but ( was reminded about this ( thanks Craig for SeawayFishing.info ))

Just a reminder.. From January 1st 2012, the seaway is now a designated bar and lifejackets are required to be worn by the occupants of any boats under 4.8m that go out past the walls. It doesn’t matter if the bar is flat as a tack, you need to be wearing a lifejacket in a small boat. You can bet fisheries and water police will be policing this hard in the next few months.

I could be adding two boats to this list if I can sweet talk my sis and bro in law to come along and my mate to actually buy this boat he's been going to buy since before Christmas...

And if that fails I'll be in a 4.2... and if that fails, my feet.

Ahaha.

I really should just buy my own boat......

Might go pick me up a heavy spin outfit next weekend!

Hey Tugger,

Sounds like an awesome weekend coming up and I would love to come around. My I can bring Tent, Firewood, Camping Gear, Beer... but I don't have a boat and also not to much choice on fishing gear. I reckon I could spend a bit of money to gear up but don't want to buy the wrong stuff + I may don't need it till next year Jan any more,

anyway sounds like good fun and I'll be in if nothing crosses my plan till then.

All I wondering if there is a decky spot for me and also a chance to catch up with one of you guys before that weekend to get some more Info about gear, where to go....Or we throw a line would be highly appreciated.

cheers Harry

Im going to go invest in some more circle hooks and wire. Im presuming you can jig up bait pretty easy? do they like the big jigs or the smaller ones? think im out of smaller ones

The Bait grounds are easy to get livies. We use the small jigs for them. I have not used the bigger ones for them. You can follow use out to the grounds.

Hey Pike - there will be someone to get you across to the Island. Make sure you get a couple of numbers and arrange a time for pick up as we start drinking pretty early as it is a early start in the fishing morning. give me a call - 0407 118 915 - with regard to decky spots there are usually a few spots available once you get to the island. The fishing options around the island are not to bad as well.

PM sent

Hey Tugger,

Sounds like an awesome weekend coming up and I would love to come around. My I can bring Tent, Firewood, Camping Gear, Beer... but I don't have a boat and also not to much choice on fishing gear. I reckon I could spend a bit of money to gear up but don't want to buy the wrong stuff + I may don't need it till next year Jan any more,

anyway sounds like good fun and I'll be in if nothing crosses my plan till then.

All I wondering if there is a decky spot for me and also a chance to catch up with one of you guys before that weekend to get some more Info about gear, where to go....Or we throw a line would be highly appreciated.

cheers Harry

Not long now guys, Kurt "Madmullet" has had to pull out for other committments so I'll just be coming over on my own with my new rum runner, should be a good chance for people who need a deckie spot. Also lance, I'm pretty new to this sort of fishing (Marlin) so maybe we should have a chat prior, Ive got pleanty of gear so should be able to get enough together to chase the little fellas.

Not long now guys, Kurt "Madmullet" has had to pull out for other committments so I'll just be coming over on my own with my new rum runner, should be a good chance for people who need a deckie spot. Also lance, I'm pretty new to this sort of fishing (Marlin) so maybe we should have a chat prior, Ive got pleanty of gear so should be able to get enough together to chase the little fellas.

Hey Brad

Am I still fishing with you for the weekend?

Give me a call anytime mate and we can discuss gear for the marlin and spotties or what ever you need to know about. :P

Hey Brad.

Thats great,I should be ok to go around 10am or so but I will confirm that over the next day or so once I get hold of my Vascular Surgeon.

Will definitely be before lunch which ever way it goes anyway.

Livies on Fri arvo would be an unreal start Ted but we will need to pen them up offshore probably.

Yakkas we can keep alive at the campsite but slimies will be touch and go if they live through the low tide so offshore is best in a clothes basket.

Oh I forgot Zane.

I will have the stove and bbq there like last time so feel free to use it all for the weekend,save you carting all that gear down.

Same for Eddie and anyone else who needs a bbq to use for the weekend.

legend!! im not 100% on this trip yet but im working hard to make it happen. it would be devastating to sit down with a beer on sunday night and read all about what i missed :pinch:

As long as u dont forget the kitchen sink this time as i believe that was the only thing u didnt bring last time!! :P:P

Archived