Free crab pots if you can find them. Raby Bay

Gary Busey

Not sure if my pots were stolen or if my rope was too short.

I thought I had enough rope but I put them in at low tide this morning and checked on the way in on high tide and no sign of them. Maybe they were there and the rope pulled the float under, or the float lifted them enough to move them elsewhere.

If you're heading out of Raby Bay ramp at low tide and spot them, they're yours. Regular white float, marked "Murray" with my number and address all on the float.

Head straight out from the ramp and they should be dead ahead, other side of the channel heading Nth out of the bay. About here I think.

27°30'46.56"S

153°16'48.31"E

2 pots. Around the same spot.

post-8705-14459872016_thumb.jpg

Is that your hot crabbing spot Gary:D haha ever do any good there? Yea sounds sus hey, maybe ur rope wasnt long enough? What type of pots were they and are they heavy duty? If they are only lite maybe they did get taken away in the tide. Thats a real shame if some prick checked your pots and then took your pots as well

Adam

Never tried that spot but have caught a few sand crabs on rods in that area so thought I might as well leave a couple of pots there on my way out to peel.

Just your standard BCF pots. Don't think they could have floated without a fair bit of current.

Most likely were stolen, but thought I should put the post up in case the floats had sunk at high tide.

I'd rather someone take them than have them get caught in an outboard prop.

I cant check til next week and I would have waited for the tide to drop but I had to get my deckie home.

Maybe one of the bigger boats might have cleaned them up as most of the pricks coming out of those canals don't look where they're going :unsure:

I totally agree ive come back to check my pots and found another little tinny with one of my floats wrapped around his motor. As I yelled out to him all this river mate and you have to drive straight over my pots. Smart cookie he was

Adam

I did put them outside of the channel but I guess they could have moved into the channel or met a boat driving the wrong side of the beacon.

Anyway, not too worried about the pots as I had a great day fishing, and I've got more pots that were given to me from a guy I towed a few months ago.

Lets hope that it's some prick that stole them, much much better than this kinda thing happening.

Agreed.

Will definately be more sure of my rope length next time.

I still think it was plenty, and that they were stolen. But I'd rather admit to a possible stupid mistake if it means a few people will keep an eye out for them just in case, and take them if they're spotted.

id say they got cleaned up by boats. Some places in the bay can be a mine field of crab pots. I always keep an eye out for floats bobbing around but there is always times when you dont see one. Whether you hit the thing or not is another thing, still no body purposly tries to hit them .

• 2 weeks later...

pots in the bay dont usually get stolen, not that any of us know exactly what happened but its most likely a boat ran over the rope.

I used think people were stealing my pots because I would loose 1-2 every trip. Then I went to the tackle shop on old cleveland road and they showed me these 2 inch lead crimps that you crimp over your line about 2-3 meters below the float that act as a weight. I put 4 on every rope with about 2 meter spacing.

That way your line goes straight down and has no chance of being cut off by a passing boat.

I havent lost one pot since then, best investment ever. I just keep 16m of rope on all the time (for when we go to pearl channel). I never have to adjust rope size to suite the tide / current and im not loosing them because A) my lines too short or B) i have 5 meters of line floating on the surface.

pots in the bay dont usually get stolen, not that any of us know exactly what happened but its most likely a boat ran over the rope.

quote]

try telling that to my mate frank who crabs for a living. he looses pots quite oftern and if they arnt stolen they have been opened and left open.

one wishes that people dont steel them.

on a differnt note, if a boat does pick one up, do they come to a holt due to the rope getting wraped around the prop on does the prop cut through the rope. i would have a clue as i have never hit one.

cheers kurt

quote]

try telling that to my mate frank who crabs for a living. he looses pots quite oftern and if they arnt stolen they have been opened and left open.

one wishes that people dont steel them.

on a differnt note, if a boat does pick one up, do they come to a holt due to the rope getting wraped around the prop on does the prop cut through the rope. i would have a clue as i have never hit one.

cheers kurt

picked one up on my prop at goodna boat ramp as i was putting my boat on the trailer it had no float and was tied to a rock it

cost me 3grand not happy

Archived