Boat/Trailer Maintenance

ONTHECHEW

Just thought I would start a post of different things people do to keep their boat or trailer in good shape. Salt water is the number one enemy of any boat, plus constant sunlight doesn't help either. Just thought I would start something up that people could add to, you might think it is obvious or something you thought every one knew but might help out other people in keeping their gear in good condition.

Andrew

- Not possible with the larger boat/trailers but if the ramp allows it I always try to launch without putting the trailer axle underwater. However will usually take my time in pre-launching preparation to allow the hubs to cool.

- When I get home I usually throw a sprinkler under the ute or trailer and leave it while I go unload other stuff. This usually allows the under carriage to soak thoroughly allowing the dirt/salt to drip down (well that's the theory anyway).

Will add more as I think of them.

I do a general wash down with soapy water after every trip without being too anal.

I do a very thourough wash down of the trailer including inside all the open box sections.

Every few outings I will coat trailer bits and pieces with innox.

A couple of times a year I will grease all the nipples.

The rest gets loooked after at the annual service.

Anything that looks worn like brake cable or anchor rope I replace as needed.

I don't give a crap about paint or anything cosmetic as my boat is strictly a plate fishing boat and doesn't need to be pretty.

Bearings I do on average once a year. After fitting durahubs a year or so ago I have a lot more confidence as I can see if something is not right. i.e. Oil goes milky if water is getting in and oil level drops if the seals aren't doing their job.

Something else to think about is the wheel nuts on the trailer. If they are put on with a rattle gun and then get a regular salt water dunking, it can make them pretty hard to get off in a roadside situation Recommend cracking them once or twice a year to make sure you can get them off if required.

mate i am about to get a custom trailer to replace the one that was damaged 4 months ago and i am going to put an irgation system down the rhs ( rectangula hollow steel ) so it can be flushed perfectly.

but general rule of thumb, as a manufacturer, we tell clients to give the trailer a good wash down outside and inside of the trailer and every 6 months clean and re greese bearings, and once a year replace them. yes this might be accsessive, but better to be safe then sorry.

when it comes to hydrolic calipers, its much better is you wait 15mins before dunking your drailer into the water. the no# one problem we have with hyd calipers is people put their trailer straight into the water after arrival and because everything is hot, cold water get sucked in behing the boot and inturn evenually seizes the piston. we tell our customers to servisc these every 6 months min.

bearing buddins are good. just remember if you over fill them, the grease will expand when getting warm and the buddies can fli off, and if you under fill them, they wont work.

another thing you can do after wasing and letting the trailer dry. is to out a natural coating of oil over the frame like lanalin, but keep in mind that dirt and dust will stick to it make the trailer looked unloved.

if you look after your trailer properly it should last a min on 15yrs

you have to remember these are for marine use and nothing is fool proof.

Hey i've got leaf springs in my trailer. Is it sufficient to just hose them out when I get home? Should I be inoxing them as well?

And with the wheels; a hose on the inside and outside is ok hey?

inox is good after every use, but it can disperse into the water.

Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term harmful effects in the aquatic environment.

whats your thought on putting inox on the disc rotors to stop them rusting or will this not make the brakes work properly? :cheer: al

mate if you use it enough, you wont get a huge build up of rust cause the breaks will be constantly and if you down use it that often put you hand break on "lightly" on your trailer and go for a run around the block to wear down the rust. you will never totally stop rust from forming on your rotors unless you but stainless rotors and you are looking at big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ each.

i def dont recomend anyone put any oil based products on their discs.

Archived