Whiting Action in Ballina Sunday 5th Dec

Homer4duff

A quick post to give an update on the Whiting. I went down to Ballina on the weekend to visit my parents and took the rods down for a spot of fishing.

About 11am I went down to the river with the wind howling out of the south east about 20kts+ making for pretty ordinary conditions. The bar was a washing machine of white water so that was out of the picture. I grabbed my rod and headed on down to the tackle shop to grab some beach worms and try my luck at a spot of whiting fishing.

Upon getting to the tackle shop and having a chat I was informed that the whiting were non existant currently and I'd be better off trying plastics for Flatties.

So I headed down to North creek upstream from the old missinham bridge and had about 30 mins of nothing, working my way towards the bridge. When I got there 2 older blokes were whiting fishing and upon asking was told they'd got a couple of good ones. So I threw the plastic in to see if there were any flatties about and about 5 mins later one of the guys pulls in another nice whiting.

"Bugger this" I thought, and promptly jumped in the car and drove to a second tackle store and bought some worms.

When I got back the 2 guys were leaving and offered me their spot which had a nice sand bank near shore. It wasn't long before I had my first and biggest fish going 32cm. I was pretty stoked. But they just kept on coming! I caught the 6 whiting, about 4 tarwine (undersized), a couple of little bream, and another fish that looked like a cross between a bream and a jack, with a little bullseye mark on the back of the fish.

A great hours fishing and I only stopped when the tide started flowing in again too fast and the bite went cold. Whiting fillets for dinner yum! :lol:

post-9629-144598723648_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598723659_thumb.jpg

hmmmm i wonder what will happen next time they tell u something isnt on the bite!!!!

it was blowing a gale on the weekend so good on ya for gettin out there and its good to see you were rewarded for ur effort :)

ballina is a lovely part of the world, evans heads is nicer, i absolutely love that place!

When I got back the 2 guys were leaving and offered me their spot which had a nice sand bank near shore. It wasn't long before I had my first and biggest fish going 32cm. I was pretty stoked. But they just kept on coming! I caught the 6 whiting, about 4 tarwine (undersized), a couple of little bream, and another fish that looked like a cross between a bream and a jack, with a little bullseye mark on the back of the fish.

Sounds like a Moses Perch.

Those poor buggers at the first tackle store probably tried to do the right thing by you rather than take your money. :unsure:

Nice to get a hot bite for a quick feed of whiting. Hope you kept the heads for snapper bait.

Sounds like a Moses Perch.

Those poor buggers at the first tackle store probably tried to do the right thing by you rather than take your money. :unsure:

Nice to get a hot bite for a quick feed of whiting. Hope you kept the heads for snapper bait.

Yep I looked it up and it was a Moses Perch. All frames and heads are in the freezer :)

Archived