Outboard motor service and questions

51MPL

Hey everyone,

Wow where to begin.. So bought a boat with a 08 blue-band merc (25hp), looking through the service manual it hasnt ever had a service before so obviously it needs to be done. Question one - where are some reputable places people have had they're outboards serviced that wont cost and arm and a leg.

I've called around a few places and will either goto: Springwood Marine, Yamaha Yatla or Karee Marine (Closest to home and also offered $50 to retune the 25 upto a 30hp)

Question two - What is normally involved in getting an outboad motor serviced? Mick fillet kindly wrote me an essay on all the things which should be done but noted that dealers usually wont be that thorough (Thanks Mick)

Question three - Having never had this outboard serviced, should i take it to a dealer first and then in the future look into what needs to be done and then take care of things at home? or best to keep bringing it in annually for a service?

Karee Marine said he should be able to do everything for under $350 inc water pump (im assuming he will change it to a new one, also said he wil use all genuine parts)

Springwood Marine quoted about $180 not including parts & Yamaha at Yatla said $250 + more for parts.

Thanks in advance for any advice

A1

Booty takes his Merc 40 to Karee I believe and has expressed his trust in them on more than 1 occasion.

I do not recall hearing reports of the other 2 but that may be a memory issue.

A2

Yoodles put up a thread about changing the impellor the other day. Some of the repsonses answered this question.

A3

Do the dealer first and then decide from there is my suggestion. Back in the old days I would always take it to my dealer as the cost was less than the bother of learning myself when I could have been working and earning.

Good luck with the Merc

Mate if you go online on ebay and buy a workshop manual in CD form it will tell you everything you need to know.

You should be able to do everything yourself except for maybe changing the water pump impellar. but even that isnt that hard to do with a workshop manual.

If you change the plugs, fuel filter and gearbox oil and possibly put a kit through the carby or carby's that should do it.

Some people say "if it aint broke dont play with it" but it gives you a chance to clean out the carby's and replace all the seals and "O" rings.

But with a workshop manual you can do anything and if you have trouble getting one i think i have one on CD in my collection i could copy for you.

I hope this helps.

cheers

khoi, i wouldn't mind sitting in on that service if you don't mind? would like to learn a bit more about my merc also.

we used to have "dodgy mechanic days" with our cars, everyone would come over to someones house and fix up all the bits and pieces bounce ideas, etc. and finish up with a bbq and beers. probably not enough space for all the boats but be good to brainstorm.

Karee Marine said he should be able to do everything for under $350 inc water pump (im assuming he will change it to a new one, also said he wil use all genuine parts)

Thats pretty cheap if that service includes oil, oil filter, fuel filter, water pump, gear oil, spark plugs and carb tune.

Do what i do, service it yourself, do the basic service and you know what parts n fluids are been fitted, sometimes they say they use genuine parts, but in the end they use non- genuine. All the big jobs i get my mobile marine mechanic, and he will show/teach you a few things when he takes it apart/tunning.

If you want i can send you his number.

Thanks again for the replies above, a lot to think about whether to do it myself or not but like Eug has pointed out. so far in its 3 year life its never had a service so what if any form of warranty would they offer anyway?

i'll go through the thread after dinner and reply to everyone so stay tuned

For a first service especially the one after so long I would take it to a mechanic. Mal is great and trustworthy. He is an authorized Merc mechanic. No big deal to do the services after this one. It will end up heap if you break down somewhere and need a tow back to the ramp.

Creek Marine & Auto Centre

(07) 3354-1475

31 Pickering St

Alderley, Qld 4051

Australia

Archived