2 Firsts and a PB

Damien2Rad

With the plan originally being for 5 of us to head up to Corio Bay for an overnighter in one of the huts with the intention of crabbing (yawn) because the tides are no good for fishing (I think that as long as you have a line in the water you have 100% better chance of catching a fish than if you dont't - screw the tides).

But, due to the forecast storms the old boys pulled out, scared of a little water and one of the young blokes picked up a girl in the clubs the night before - so he was out too... Can't say I blame him... So that left me and my good mate Jacob, who has an old tinnie with an even older 30hp outboard on it.

We decided to hit up Coorooman Ck. Turns out this was an excellent idea. Sure, we got wet and thought we were gonna get struck by lightening.... but that's beside the point.

So, first things first. With the tide slowly changing from high we headed upstream a fair way to try Jacobs grunter spot, but with too much run we were anable to keep a bait or plastic on the bottom.

With the first hint of that big ass storm coming we decided to troll back to the ramp - if we got wet on the way we stayed on the water, if we got back dry, we'll pacl up.

My gear - rigged and ready:

post-7684-144598726471_thumb.jpg

So I tied on a 100mm richo's 2m diver and jacob his ever reliable Lively Lures Micro Mullet 2m diver.

And he was the first on with a little flattie.

post-7684-144598726444_thumb.jpg

Next it was my turn, with a Bluey of around 550mm, which was released as Jacob convinced me it was a thready, therefore undersize... Only to yell out "What are ya doing!!?" as I threw it back... Bastard.

That's the first first.

post-7684-144598726455_thumb.jpg

As we kept trolling the skies opened up and we were soaked.

But that's cool.

We decided to head out the front of the creek to an area known as the timbers for a flick. We beached the boat and got out... There were jelly prawns about 30mm everywhere, tiny little see through things.

Everything was having a go at 'em.

I had a 60mm Duel lure (beautiful looking one - it now sleeps with the fishes - it's stuck on a snag).

After a few swirls around my lure I was on!

After a short tussle in comes my first every threadie which went approx 650-700mm.

I'm addicted.

post-7684-144598726463_thumb.jpg

With this, a big storm and torrential rain came, so we called it a day... Laoded the boat and drove off.... then the rain stopped and the sun came out again.

So we found a way to get to the spot landbased, after a bit of mud bashing and 4wding we'd found it... Only to find out there is a proper beach entry just up the road... ah well.

Any ways with another little 70mm Duel on, I walked the banks flicking...

Then one cast all hell broke loose. I hooked a train!!.

When I saw the first jump my thoughts were 700 to 800mm!! Jacob was just walking out to get his smokes when I yelled out to bring the camera, glad he heard me.

When he got back, the fight was still on and in came my PB barra of 750mm. He inhaled the lure!!

post-7684-144598726478_thumb.jpg

And this is what he looked like

post-7684-144598726487_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144598726494_thumb.jpg

All fish on 6lb braid and 20lb leader, on certate 2000 and Tairyo 1-3kg rod.

Thanks for reading!

Archived