AFO fish guide

regulated

Hey all,

I have a bit of trouble identifying fish in the bay and have been looking around for a good guide. I have the small water proof 5 page one from BCF and another a member of a forum has done up but not many of the fish I have caught have been on them. The ones that are aren't very clear anyway and its a bit hard to pick them.

I have started taking photos of all fish I have caught to do up my own chart. It is taking a long time and I was thinking maybe others have pics that they would like to get together. Today I just clicked the BRC was on the weekend and a lot of fish were photographed, why don't we get them together and make our own guide. You could seperate them into sections, freshwater, estuary, reef, pelagic, game and people can print out what they need. I don't think it is worth puting size/bag limits on as they change, just good quality photos of fish from Brisbane, sunny and gold coast.

Whats everyone think?

• 1 month later...

OK I am going to do this one up. If anyone has a very good picture of a fish could you please email it to yami80fan@yahoo.com.au. Clear images with a plain background will be great, save a bit of time photoshopping it. Could you please provide the following with the photo:

common name,

the official species name as it appears on the fisheries size and bag limit HERE,

what section you want it in ie, freshwater, bait, estuary, reef, pelagic, game.

Could a mod please give permission to use the AFO logo as a watermark on the page and I'll get it started.

I wont put the size limits on it as they can change. This guide is just for identification.

We did actually start this quite awhile ago but due to time we never were able to finish it. Please send through to webmaster@australianfishing.com.au and we can then review and publish these items.

Thanks for the great initiative

Will do, just need photos off everyone. Thanks to anyone who sends stuff through. Also if anyone knows of a good picture on the net somewhere let me know. I'll check out the DPI site and request to ise some of them.

What I might do is pop up a blank one with no AFO stuff on it so people know what other photos we need then once its nearing completion we can AFO it up, maybe even sponsors.

Cheers

BJ

OK have got a reply from DEEDI. They are quite helpful and I just have to provide them with a bit more info about the guides use and what is required. I will not be able to get permission for the freshwater fish images as they were taken by a professional photographer so if anyone has any send them though.

I am hoping I will be able to use the salt water images.

Cheers to anyone that helps out.

For those who want a fairly comprehensive coloured fish guide to keep in the boat or tackle bag,the "Fisherman`s Guide Qld Coastal & Reef Fish" chart is good. it shows the coloured portraits of over 90 fish (my 2009 chart),I think the new ones have well over a 100,has the bag limits & legal sizes for each fish,location guide,and also an edible rating for each fish.It also has the no-take species and a lot of the fresh water species

When I bought one in 2009 they were $9.95ea. On the link below I see they`re now $19.95ec, but admittedly they look larger than my older one. Well I suppose I had better get a new one,that way I`ll have the newer size limits & other info in the one spot.

Anyway the BCF link below shows what I`m rabbiting on about

/>http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Guide-Fishermans-Qld-Coast-Reef-Fish.aspx?pid=224303#Description

Edit.. PS the guides are laminated and the species guide covers both sides.

• 1 month later...

Staff at DPI & F spent a lot of time and hard work trying to find out if I could use there images for the guide but unfortunately they can not get permission as they are not sure where all of them came from.

Might not try to do it now as I don't catch enough to do images myself and didn't get any images off anyone.

Thanks for all the advice anyway.

BJ

Archived