new freshwater tank

pancakes_and_haggis

Gay guys,

can any of ghe guys out there who keep fresh wayer fish give ne sone advice on natives

ive got a nice 4footer empty in garage and would like to turn it into a fresh water setup

can anyone give me some advise on barra, jacks, cod, perch or anything similar

food types? Live /dead/pellets filtraton types lightibg requirements

thanks guys

Best thing I can suggest is to do a search about keeping native fishes. Your local library would also have books on the subject.

A 4 foot tank is a good size whether you decide to keep a few of the bigger natives(bass, jack ,barra etc..) or make a display tank using the smaller natives such as rainbows, gudgeons etc..

One of the problem with the bigger natives is that they're quite agressive and will also outgrow your tank. You may start off with a few different one (if you can buy them!!) but over time you'll end up with just one.

I started off with 6 bass in my tank and as they got bigger had to remove some to reduce the agro and will eventually only have one or maybe two left. I also had a number of rainbows but they've all been eaten except for the 2 biggest one and in the long run they'll also go as the bass gets bigger.

Luc

Mate, they are really easy to keep. just set your tank up and run it for a couple of weeks to let the filter cycle then buy one of these. You wont regret it.

Just make sure you have lids and no holes at all for it to jump out of.
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/13-for-sale/384364-fs-s-leichardti-juvies-saratoga

Gay guys,

can any of ghe guys out there who keep fresh wayer fish give ne sone advice on natives

ive got a nice 4footer empty in garage and would like to turn it into a fresh water setup

can anyone give me some advise on barra, jacks, cod, perch or anything similar

food types? Live /dead/pellets filtraton types lightibg requirements

thanks guys

If you asked everyone on the site for help and not just the Gay Guys you may get some more valuable info put forward. :P :silly: :P

How wide is your 4 ft ?

Jacks and Cod and Toga are 1 per tank fish in 4ft anything else with them becomes dinner or dead eventualy.

Barra can often keep a couple but will outgrow 4ft in a year or 6 months even.

Perchs and Grunters bicker and fight some are very nasty, always trial and error keeping them together.

sweet man well we will sort that mission out we spoke about in the new year,

im dead keen to get it running now but it would be irresponsible of me to do that as im going on holiday to nz for 2 weeks!

soon as im back thou we shall have it sorted ant!

may as well pack a 1-3 for the bush bash ! if ive got one :woohoo:

im dead keen to get it running now but it would be irresponsible of me to do that as im going on holiday to nz for 2 weeks!

Set it up now and let it cycle and the (good) bacteria build for afew weeks before putting the fish in ;)

Set it up now and let it cycle and the (good) bacteria build for afew weeks before putting the fish in ;)

That would be ideal.

awesome idea~

ok so ive got the tank, and the lighting unit to cover the top!

there is an old canister filter there that i suppose i could set up at a stretch

anyone like to offer some ideas as to what else i need t cycle the tank.

ive got a decent RO unit there that i plan on using to fill the tank,

gravel/sustrate? plants?

im clueless to fresh water salt water is my forte'

i have a 6ft tank with oscars,dovii,convicts..ect i used a riversand i got from my local landscape supply,washed and dried before placing in cheaper than fish shops. also i have a 5000ltr/h canister filter with a 4500ltr/h power head this cleans the tank within 1hr....

with new set ups use a water conditioner this accelerates the run in time for new water,,,,

as for fish well if ur new to the scene id suggest not going straight to barra ,jacks,bass...ect id start with oscars and dovii these fish are fun to feed and great to watch.... but the dovii ,ive had jacks before and yes they r fun and great to show offf, but the dovi at the same size is far more aggresive and better fun to watch i dare not put my hand in the tank to feed or clean as he will take a nice chunk out of my hand ......

if u r after a canister filter i have 5000ltr/h u can have it has all the balls and foam filters inside in good condition

Archived