Reef Tank Update!

pancakes_and_haggis

looks good mate,

I am in the process of decommissioning my reef tank as it has turned to crap, due to lack of time for maintenance etc......... I have a 4ft tank, sump, chiller, skimmer, PO reactor etc...... also have a 2 ft cube with sump etc........ have a 1000l IBC for natural sea water also.....

They look great, but the problem is I am away too often to care for it........

That looks very nice Callum but I think an estuary tank would be heaps cooler- just get rid of those pretty coloured rocks and fish and put in some mangroves and a mud bank :P

I have that exact set up, its really big and took heaps of maintenence to start up but now that the breeding program has taken off and Ive set up and ellaborate tidal filter system that runs via gravity from the moon it seems to be going really well and is now basicaly maintenence free.. although I do try to check at least two nights a week in the boat and take samples of the fish to make sure they are doing well... :P:P:P:P:P:P

Brad- may you need an apprentice sampler at any time then give me a bell !!! :) :)

But once I've paid off my various debts then I want to get a coupe of wild clown dish that will take residence in those anenomie costhe shop bought clown I've got has no interest in them hHa do he will have to go

A pair of banded coral shrimp are also on the list as for tether fish well who knows anything easy to keep that's placid ad doesn't start eating my corals lol

Ah if your getting rid of any livestock or equipment I'd be very interested mate

Especial in the chiller

All the fish are gooooone.......there are a few snails, and I think the peppermint shrimp are still kicking along......... I have a shit tin of live rock, and a couple of corals...........

I'd prefer to offload it all, but am still searching for the time to actually clean it out / get it ready for sale.........

Do you use NSW or you mix up your own? I went down the NSW path as it worked out a pretty similar cost, I think it is about $120 for 1000 litres, delivered..... way easier........

My problem is simply a lack of time......... as when I am away, no one bothers to check the water....... ie, my last time away my mrs, just decided to top it up with tap water.... instead of the RO water.......... and well you can imagine that this sent the fish to the grave and was not good for the algae! it is pretty messy at the moment, but the snails, and shrimp survived..........

Hey dude, yeh well I use abit of both about 50-50

I collect the nsw myself and make up the coral pro sea salt withy to unit. I only live about 200m from the coast so I cleft on a high tide, after a lot of rain I'll use 100% salt mix!

I'm keen to take the whole lot off you, peppermint shrimps would be awesome what are the corals still kicking about? Maybe I could reduce them!!

Callum

Tank looks good mate, any mantis or pistol shrimp problems? those guys are annoying

Hey Henry got a spare 10k+...

a mate of mine has spent in excess of 25k$ on his 6x2.5x2.5 over the past 4 years.

and he didnt pay retail for any of it.

I imagine you could get away with it cheaper if you bought someone elses tank that they were pulling down.

Freshwater/low maintenance until i have a house i want to live in for 5+ years for me.

^^ yeah I know how expensive it is.. thus the procrastination. Fishing is enough of a money pit :D

I'm lucky a mate of mines g/f is a marine products sales rep so I know I'll be able to get sweet deals from her. but yeah I think I'm gonna wait until I move into a permanent home before I set it up and it'll be a gradual set up as well :)

Hey mate, the livestock are pretty much gone, as i mentioned in the PM, all that remains area couple of peppermint shrimp (if i can find them hiding in the LR) and snails.......

The mrs did a water top up with some straight tap water and it ended most things..............

here area couple of pics of what it looked like a couple of months back......

post-5868-144598735226_thumb.jpg

post-5868-144598735254_thumb.jpg

Archived