Are blue soldier crabs edible?

viperon1982

roobs wrote:

you could do them like soft shell crabs, in a little tempura. their shell would be soft enough to eat when cooked, like a teppanyaki prawn head! yum!

Hell yeah that's what I was thinking roobs! Have u tried them like that?

Well seems like they ain't a danger to my health, so the next time I'll catch a bucket load and fry'em up! Let u guys know what it's like when I do, if I'm still alive that is!

Oh and there're no limits to the numbers I can catch are they?

i think that it would probably be prudent to only take what you need- they're sensative to things like environmental pressure and polution but i'm not sure about over-fishing. never tried them like that but had school prawns deep fried in their shells and they were very tasty, if a bit gritty.

Mate they are full of sand, might be prudent to let them sit in a bucket of salt water for 24 hours before you turn them into finger food!

A Quick look at the DPI site and there appears to be no limits set. (size or numbers).

But be picky, they tend to get about in big groups, and each group tends to be of about the same size, so obviously you ant to look for a group of big uns!

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...