"Wild Cats" Big Bay Adventure

Manni79

WIth the weather looking so good this week a call was made to hit the bay and venture in to some waters that the “Wildcat†had not seen.

So Wes & I launched from Fisherman’s boat ramp at 4am and headed for the 4 Beacons near Moreton Island the wind was around 10 knots SE and the swell a little under a metre so it was pretty good run out. The boat handled the conditions will but we did get a little wet at stages which was entertaining......

We get to the beacons and start sounding for bait and over the fist hour we could see bait gathering and we got a few enquiries but no fish. As we kept working the drift Wes noticed some birds about 1km away so we pulled up our lines and bolted over, we got pretty close and we both were firing off casts but they were dropping too quick.

After a couple attempts I finally hooked up and was on for a short battle and then as Wes was retrieving his line out of the water we got tangled and dropped the fish.

It wasn’t the end of the world as we could see them busting up and the chase was on again, after about 30 mins i was on again this time the rod was loaded and the Tuna making a big run, after about a minute run the lure had just popped from it’s mouth Grrrrrr I can only imagine that i had just hooked it in the side of the mouth or even in the skin just slightly!!!

All in all we chased the Tuna for 13km's and had more than enough chances to land one...... :(

We chased a couple more times before we decided to head back to the beacon’s this time on the red markers we found more showings on the sounder, plenty of hits and short hook ups but no fish. I down sized my plastic and then BANG I’m on it was a pretty decent fight however pulling up the fish was a surprise and a first. A small AJ :)

post-8859-144598737249_thumb.jpg

He punched well above his weight but unfortunately we didn’t get any upgrades.

After a while we decided to hit up Curtain Reef on the the way we went through the ship wrecks at Tanga’s with plenty of little fish & boats about. We kept cruising to the reef and just as we arrived the oil warning light turned on !! hmmmmmm not good being out so far!!!

Silly me hadn’t checked the oil for a few trips and we needed to get back hopefully with what we had, we did have one drift at Curtains and the sounder light up with fish but no luck. If we had stayed i think we would have nailed some more fish but was wise to head back in.

We made a B-Line back to the river which was about 35/40kms

When we got back to the mouth we had another quick fish, Wes catching a Flounder and i got a small squire & Flathead around 45cm’s

post-8859-144598737263_thumb.jpg

In total we travelled 105km’s and used just under 60 litres of fuel - We had a 20 litre reserve just in case but didn’t need to use it. Having an ETEC 2 Stroke 75 definitely lived up to it’s good fuel economy promise!!!

Also learned that when the oil warning light comes on i have about 40kms left to run before i should really be worried lol

(Oh yeah and take some spare with me in the boat just in case)

It was a day of missed chances but also had an opportunity to learn a few things. Thanks for coming out Wes and sharing some of your knowledge

Was good having Wes with me as he was able to teach me a few things about the bay both fishing and boating especially how to handle my boat in certain conditions.

We’ll get out there soon for redemption.

P.S Some info for those interested

Water temp was 24.7 degrees

Large scatterings of bait up and down the coast of Moreton, even in 9 metres of water we saw bait schools the size of football fields

Thanks for reading

Nice work mate. Its pretty exciting chasing the bait schools and great when you get a solid hookup. Really think I need to put a stinger on as tugger suggested as each fish takes livies and bait a different way.

Was wondering if the tuna were around. They put up a nice fight.

It amazing how many k's you clock up going over there. I always do over 90k and use between 30-40L depending on the weather with the yami 80.

Cheers

Cheers for an awesome day mate! enjoyed it :woohoo: we had our chances and it was good to see so many bust ups of all sorts

its going to be a ripper bay season over the next few months with the amount of bait out there. it was great to see all them small flying fish getting smashed :lol::lol: keen to do it all over again ;)

Nice one mate, shame the fish didn't quite play the game! The Aj is a bit cute hahaha.

Good to see the boat could handle it easily though!

The fish came to the party I just %$^* it up lol

P.S we had a casting couch for cutest fish to pose in our latest Reaction Strike lure photo. The AJ was the winner :whistle: :silly:

Archived