Quick River Mouth Session...

Angus

Headed out with Henry a couple of days ago and had what became an awesome session. Photo's dont do this session justice as we hooked and lost so many fish it wasnt funny. Oh well thats what you get for using 3lb fluro straight through or 4lb braid :P

No regrets at all though as I believe we would have have had as many hook ups without the light gear. We actually had one guy in a boat suggest we were fishing "to light"... Says the guy who hasnt nailed a fish at all :P

Other species landed and not photographed included: Tailor, bream (galore), squire, flathead, flounder. One of our laziest photography sessions ever as there were hits every cast and the pressure was on to just fish!

Other highlights included me fighting a tailor and having it chased by two large jew. Henry flicked his Damiki ripper behind my tailor and bang was hooked onto one of them. After a prolonged fight this fish was lost sadly. Blame again the 4lb :P Fish would have conservatively been 80cm+ which I guess makes sense as he was trying to eat a 42cm tailor :)

Stand out lures were:

Pontoon 21 Greedy Guts (for my jew and a cod).

Reaction Strike AC55 (For Cod and dropped jew).

Damiki 3 Inch Armour Shads (for tailor, bream, squire, flounder).

Damiki 4 Inch Ripperz (for squire and jew).

Anyway signing off for a few days gents and I am chasing Cod and Trout. Have fun!

post-63-144598737573_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598737924_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598737583_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598737902_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598737911_thumb.jpg

post-63-144598737918_thumb.jpg

80cm jew is just a wild stab in the dark :) I duuno how confident I'd be in calling the length on the thing but it was the strongest/most powerful fish I'd hooked up to all day and it looked stonger than the jewy that Angus landed. Wasn't the 4lb that gave in though, it spat the hook.

It was a great day's fishing though... amazing amounts of fish hooked, landed and lost.

And... a bit of a tangent from this report.. I find it amusing how many people have advised me and Angus on what we are doing wrong :D We've had - "you need to be buying better gear", "you're fishing too light", "you're using the wrong rod and reel for these fish", "you're fighting them wrong". Not saying I know how to fish every situation, but it's pretty funny when it's blatantly obvious to us that we are doing it right.

And... a bit of a tangent from this report.. I find it amusing how many people have advised me and Angus on what we are doing wrong :D We've had - "you need to be buying better gear", "you're fishing too light", "you're using the wrong rod and reel for these fish", "you're fighting them wrong". Not saying I know how to fish every situation, but it's pretty funny when it's blatantly obvious to us that we are doing it right.
........And you should be using servo prawns to :lol::lol:

You can understand why they are saying it when you're hooking but not landing though.

I witness this with Ted a fair bit. I'm using 10lb or 20lb and confidently landing the fish I hook while every time Ted hooks up to a decent one it ends with him saying bad words before re-tieing with the same silly string. I never tease him about it though, just humbly turn away and giggle :whistle: :lol:

Sounds like a busy fun session fellas.

Good luck on the cod hunt 'Gus.

........And you should be using servo prawns to :lol::lol:
And don't forget the brick to keep it on the bottom ;)

You can understand why they are saying it when you're hooking but not landing though.

I witness this with Ted a fair bit. I'm using 10lb or 20lb and confidently landing the fish I hook while every time Ted hooks up to a decent one it ends with him saying bad words before re-tieing with the same silly string. I never tease him about it though, just humbly turn away and giggle :whistle: :lol:

Sounds like a busy fun session fellas.

Good luck on the cod hunt 'Gus.

Yes however the advice came from someone not hooking in the first place. Thats what I find ammusing. I know these fish would be happily skull dragged in "if" I used 20lb leader etc I just dont have the confidence that I would have hooked them in the first place.

You know what they say...

"better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all..."

:P

For what its worth I beg to differ Angus and Henry, used to be a mad light line class fisherman 1, 2, 3kg test (not braid ratings) still do it occasionaly, bit of patience and practice at applying the MAXIMUM drag pressure working line angles and boat work and anything is possible. Luck comes into it as well, leader is the critical point 12 lb Fluro does not last long in a Jew, Jack, Cod, Thready's, or Snappers mouth always use a short bite leader of suitable size myself. At the end you have a fish which even when revived often has little chance of survival, C&R mostly myself but often keep light tackle fish as release is pointless. Fishing in close to structure in the river without being able to apply some real stopping power is fine with smaller fish but large Jacks and Cod simply get home every time. Larger Jew, Thready's and to a lesser extent Snapper in amongst the piles while not deliberatly trying to stich you have the power to get a fair bit of line, the poor abrasion resistance of light braid means one touch and its all over.

:) i think it's maybe my lack of ability to catch big fish that keeps me going back to the lighter stuff :) if I could consistently catch bigger fish I'd go heavier. I'm just so used to catching fish that don't require anything more than 4-8lb that I've almost given up on targeting them :D

If I had the knowledge and skill-set to chase the bigger threadies and jewies in the river, I'd go my heavier outfits. Just at the moment, they're all lucky bycatch for me while I catch what most people call bait.

Archived