Donnybrook session

KD

Had a good session on Thursday at Donnybrook on incoming tide. Long Tom were going ballistic on flats. Ended up with two Long Tom which were awesome fun on 2kg tackle, and 7 bream to 30cm. One Long Tom nearly had me, latched onto gunwhale centimetres from my leg, got to love that toothy grin!

post-9477-144598738751_thumb.jpg

Hi battlescar, I have a confession to make...I took a mate I haven't seen for ages out in the boat and we used bait. We tried live worms, fresh prawns and hardiheads. All fish ate only prawns all morning, not even a bite on worms or hardiheads. I must that I kept dreaming of what one of those big long toms would go like on my 6 wt, that would be something else. I reckon a baited breath or some other shrimp like pattern would have fish all over it. There was so much activity on the incoming tide, long toms smashing bait everywhere and bream everywhere. I know of guys who fish fly who wouldn't be seen dead fishing bait, but I'm more pragmatic and reckon the time spent with a good mate is hands down more important than some idealogical bias.

Archived