Mackerel season starts

tugger

A late report from december the 20th before the big swell hit the coast we were able to fish the palm beach reef with a couple of mates Alan and Nathan who is on the site here. We were the first boat out over the bar at currumbin early in the morning at 4am and first onto the reef so my spot i have fished for over 30yrs was vacant as i like it.

We sent some pillies out and started jigging for live bait when a few more boats started to arrive the more boats the merrier i believe as its like tailor fishing where you get more baits and burley in the water the better. The 2 boats either side of us started to pull mackerel in not long after they got set up so it was a matter of time till we got hit.

Nathan started to flick a metal slug around and as he the lure nearly at the boat a large spanish mackerel took it and cut him off leaving a hole in the water right beside the boat we got a good look at him so we were excited to say the least. Then all hell broke loose with the 3 baits out getting strikes and 2 spotties were away with screaming runs till they succum to the ugly stiks then gaffed and dealt with quickly by the preist.

With no baits left in the water i said to Nathan to tie another slug on and keep casting away while Alan and I got some baits out again. It wasn't long when Nathan was on with the lure and he was into a good fish taking many good long runs before we got a look at it and it was time to get the gaff ready for a good spanish mack.

This fish just beat Nathan best spanaird by 2 cm so he was a happy chappy then things went quiet around 0530 till we got a live yakka which we deployed and it was hit but no hook up. Only a few boats in our area got onto fish this day and only early then the swell got up a few days later which kept us beached till the end of the holidays.

January seems to be hotting up for the macks now as my mates have been giving me regular reports lately of cobia and mackerel so bring on the wavebreak island social

post-4390-144598740573_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598740582_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived