outboard spares

riz

i want to work out a small tool box for spares to take if i break down, my old tinnie had one although i luckliy didnt have to use them which was great and hopefully not on this tinnie either(touch wood)...what does everyone else have as spares?

What outboard do you have mate. certain ones probably have common things go wrong with them so certain spares could be a must. Metric or imperial. If its a single cylinder definetley spare spark plug. Was told by some techs its not as imprtant on multicylinder boats as you can still get home with one not running. Its just a bit rough.

So far my kit is

$70 SCA tool kit,

metrinch style spanners (good for rounded nuts)

Screwdriver set.

Length of dual 6mm wire.

Side cutters

zip ties

long nose pliers

gaffa tape.

rope

blade fuses

crimps

Next additions are actual yami parts, 20L fuel tank and hose with fitting to pop onto the eastern filter. Can also take off the fitting and plumb straight to the motor if the filter fails. hose clamps, nuts and bolts, d shackles, caribeener, 2 part metal putty, silicone, silver termal blanket out of a first aid kit. yamaha fuses

A tin of good water dipersant like inox and a tin of start ya bastard i think would be worthy additions.

A mate who used to be a surf livesaver said whenever they flipped the inflateables this stuff got them going again quick smart.
/>http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter/#.TxP6tvnODhI

Just for curiosity sake (touch wood i won't need it) how much do they charge for a tow home?

On the occassion the I needed a tow, they told me something like $80 an hour. I got lucky and they told me if I become a member for the $50 I get 2 free tows a year and I could just use one of the free tows then.. Saved me a bit! Thats with Southport VMR.

This is a good thread, I was actually putting together a list of all the tools I should carry in the boat last night.

What about in the case of trailer bearing failure? A spare set of bearings or a spare hub ready to go mite be useful.

Just for curiosity sake (touch wood i won't need it) how much do they charge for a tow home?

On the occassion the I needed a tow, they told me something like $80 an hour. I got lucky and they told me if I become a member for the $50 I get 2 free tows a year and I could just use one of the free tows then.. Saved me a bit! Thats with Southport VMR.

This is a good thread, I was actually putting together a list of all the tools I should carry in the boat last night.

What about in the case of trailer bearing failure? A spare set of bearings or a spare hub ready to go mite be useful.

This topic comes up from time to time. This is the last one I remember -

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/56-outboards-and-motors/298994-getting-to-know-your-outboard-motors#299000

It is actually a "stickied" thread in this forum category

Archived