Logan Shark Trip-Not Successful

RUSSIAN

Hi guys, thought I would write this to get a few questions answerd, as well as write the report. Well the plan was to go sharking down the Logan with Dad on Wednesday (Tuesday night) but after looking at the weather forecast and report, I definately decided that last night was the time to go. So I packed and got everything ready. But all of that quick packing went to waste as we had a few visitors over and Dad of course had to have a yarn, cook on the BBQ, and eat. (Mind you, I had everything ready to got at 5:00 pm, and we didn't get away until 7:00 pm) :pinch: So we went down to the Logan River and we were in the water fishing by 7:30 pm. I had a whole mullet rigged on 50lb wire casted along the bank. And I had two rods with freshwater eel on them, and they were casted into the main bit of the river. Those rods of course had heavier sinkers, as the tide was starting to rip in. So about 5 mins in, the eel got hit. I was very surprised and then was thinking this might be a good sharking session after all. But the sharkie didn't come back. Then a few people cam down to the jetty with castnest and opera pots to try and catch some prawns to feed there animals at home. Had a yarn to them, and in the process, I got a hit on my eel rod. I was excited, but he didn't come back for more! Why would this be? This has happend twice! Everytime else I had been down here, the sharks normally smash the bait and ruun, but not tonight! :blink: Then the action went quiet and it rained abit. So Dad started tacking some gear up to the car bit by bit. And this is normally when we hook up to the bullie. So he took up some gear but still no action. Again he took up gear no action. On the third time he went up, I started to bring in the eel rods and clean them up. When I brought in the second rod, I heard the mullet rod move. So I raced over and was praying that he hadn't eaten the whole thing, as the mullet was only about 20 or so cm. So I waited for about 10 seconds and he had come back for more. He hit it very hard and I was on. He took it for a fair old run and the run was srong, so I was thinking bullie! After a fight of 3 mins or so, up came a cat old catfish! He was quite big, so we unhooked him, few snaps, and back into the water he went. I was not very happy, but atleast we caught something. Then we went up to the car and headed off by 11:00 pm. Not the longest night I'd spent there. So overall not a succesful session but atleast I had got out. I also now have a few questions... 1. Why did I not get any sharks? Every time I go to that location, I always get sharks, and yesterday, I was even fishing with freshwater eel! 2. Are the sharks being pushed down to the mouth of the river with all of this fresh water? 3. Should I keep persisting or wait for the fresh water to go? Dad is keen for Friday night perhaos he said, (weather pending) should I have a go then?

Any way, thanks for reading guys and tonight i'll post up the pic of the old catty :sick:

Cheers Anthony ;)

mate that is fishing unfortuneatly. when the tide is pushing hard, i find the sharks are harder to catch due to the fact of you having to use larger sinkers. when the shark picks the bait of the bottom and goes to swim off, it feels the weight and drops it. if you feel something is not write, will you come back for a second look, no you wont. after big down poor for long periods of time, yes the sharks do tent to get pushed down the river, but their always are afew hanging around. if you are a bit wary of fishing while their is excess fresh water around try another spot closer to the mouth like rotary park road or beitz rd. mate i used to fish the logan river 5 time a week when i used to live 50m from it and not every day i caught a shark.

try and fish the smaller tides and use less weight, or fish 45min before and after the tide changes.

Well written report mate thankyou, I enjoyed the read. You sound like me, I hate any hold up when it's time to go fishing! Better luck next time on the sharks, sounds like it's luck of the draw as you've done all the prep and got the good bait.....like MM says, probably fish a little lighter but that's the problem in a fast current. :(

Thanks guys, I will definaely keep trying. Do you guys think I should give friday a go at the same spot? Or will there be too much fresh. Or maybe I could fish bit more down stream. Any one have any reccomended locations? (Landbased)

Cheers Anthony ;)

mate you could go to the same spot a have a blinder, or you may go and be a dud, and then you think, damm i should have gone somewhere else, or you could go to a new spot and say the same thing.

i did alot of prospecting when i was a lad and found heaps of spots, some of which were duds, other good

Archived