good honest mechanics and a buggered Johnson

Seiran

So I bought a boat a couple of weeks ago. When I first heard the 1990 115hp Johnson running I had a feeling the engine wouldn't last long, but as the boat was going for a price I was happy with, and I managed to haggle him down a bit, I was happy to take the boat on with the engine as a 'going concern'. If I got 6 months out of it I would have been happy.

I took it for a run last week and after about twenty minutes running up the Brisbane river the over-heating alarm went off and the engine shut down. I got it going again after an hour of being stranded, and having a few ferries pull up offering assistance :blush: , and managed to get it back to the boat ramp. Actually it ran really well back to the ramp.

I booked it in with Wondall Road Marine for a service on Monday, as I thought (hoped) there might have been an issue with the impeller. Come Tuesday I heard from the guys down at Wondall with the bad news. The top cylinder compression was 20 down on the other cylinders. They borrowed a mini-camera thingy from a mechanic down the road and looked in the cylinder and found bad scoring along the cylinder. It seems the cooling system wasn't cooling the top cylinder, causing an over-heat and in their opinion the motor was on the way out.

So not good news. I must say though, that the guys at Wondall were all really helpful and didn't charge me anything for the diagnostic work they put in on the boat.

So if anyone is looking at selling a VGC 90 - 120hp, mid 2000's model engine let me know. If I can't find one I'll likely downgrade engine size and purchase a new Mercury 90hp 2 stroke.

Hey Mate,

What kind of money are you looking at spending?

I Have a 2004 90hp blue band mercury 2 stroke with about 350 hours that I have been thinking about upgrading to a 4stroke purely that I travel a long way offshore and am planning on doing lots of trolling in the future.

If the dollars add up for both of us I amy be interested with parting with my 90.

Ball park figure, I guess I'm looking to spend about 6ish, on a second hand motor. I've found a couple for sale on the net for around that price. I'm calling a dealer this morning about a 2004 130hp yammy that is going for 6900 inc controls, fitting, service and warranty.

A new 90hp 2 stroke Merc is going for $9500,. fitted with 5yr warranty. My wife is pushing me to go the new engine, but I'm trying to pick up a good deal on a second hand motor so I can also get new canopies on the boat.

Archived