Wavebreak island Mackerel to Marlin Social 2

tugger

I am coming Saturday morning. I was thinking of arriving about 2am to spend some time catch livies before the real fishing starts. Any idea if I should stay in the broadwater for getting live bait or head out a bit? Would like to get some live squid if I can.

not sure where to collect Squid. the Bait grounds are close by to the Seaway. Not hard to find at night. Have you been outside before?

Only been outside once before for a look around and get the feel for the new boat. I didn't do any fishing though.

if you are comfortable going outside in the dark I can send you at couple of marks that hold yakkas and sometimes Slimies. Let me know if you are going to head out?

Yes please, that would be awesome mate, thanks. Yeah, I am fine heading out in the dark. Got plenty of lights on board and a decent spotlight so I'll light it up like daylight, lol.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ill be down around 1:30 im guessing. lost my mackeral rigs though i cleaned the boat and cant find them anywhere... looks like ill be tying a few tonight and a few tomorrow.

I will have my crimping pliers with me if anybody needs to make up some wire rigs on the island. I think I also have some nylon coated wire and some crimps in my bag too if needed.

I am so looking forward to getting out there Saturday morning, like a kid before Christmas. Out of curiosity, roughly how far out from the seaway would we be going to chase mackeral/tuna etc? I went out there on a charter once and from memory it was only about 10 minutes out, is that about right?

Tuna can be caught right at the mouth of the Seaway at times.

I am all ready and packed to go and very keen to try and find some fishies.

The last 2 wavebreaks have been duds with bad weather and no fish so lets hope we can get a third time lucky.

Gotta take down half a ton of chain and anchors and enough rope to cordon off the entire island,lol.

Tuna can be caught right at the mouth of the Seaway at times.

I am all ready and packed to go and very keen to try and find some fishies.

The last 2 wavebreaks have been duds with bad weather and no fish so lets hope we can get a third time lucky.

Gotta take down half a ton of chain and anchors and enough rope to cordon off the entire island,lol.

Yeah, I didn't think you had to go far out from the seaway. I spent the afternoon at the tackle shop making sure I have everything I need. Not packed, but got it all together in the gargage. Should I take a reef anchor or do you recon just drift?

Best way for the tuna is to look for any birds working the water.

When you seen them race over and throw lures into them and crank them back flat out.

Small 14 gram Austackle slugs have been killing the tuna lately.

Throw some lures out and have a troll up and down a few depth lines until you find where the fish are working along.

We will probably try and hunt some down tomorrow arvo for fresh cut baits over the weekend.

Was breaming seaway yesterday arvo alot of surface action out the mouth

Hope you guys hookup on some nice mack

Might head out for some more breamin tonight, my rig prob bit small to head off

What size, i went to mermaid in my old 4.2 tinny on one of the first socials and cleaned up.

I'm packed ready to go. Just waiting for Kurt to pick me up. (He is probably deciding which skirt will match his fishing gear as the weather was pretty damn good today!) :P

I know they are not on the hit list this weekend but Tonight is perfect jack weather.

I'm sure someone not coming to wavebreak will have a good report of jacks but I know it wont be Manni as I reckon his pb jack report will give him 7 years of no jacks. :pinch:

I'm packed ready to go. Just waiting for Kurt to pick me up. (He is probably deciding which skirt will match his fishing gear as the weather was pretty damn good today!) :P

I know they are not on the hit list this weekend but Tonight is perfect jack weather.

I'm sure someone not coming to wavebreak will have a good report of jacks but I know it wont be Manni as I reckon his pb jack report will give him 7 years of no jacks. :pinch:

Hahahaha I was actually thinking about a landbased jack session tomorrow

Good luck boys conditions too hectic for me, on my way home now

Nice meeting a few of the afo boys

To who ever owns that cruise craft WOW super nice rig :)

iam home i didnt want to battle it either,may go back tomorrow if the weather is better.just looked not going tomorrow,its blowin over 20 when i left and just as bad tomorrow

Weather pretty average outside. I ventured out behind Terry ("Reel Deal") leaving at 4am to rain and very sloppy conditions. got pushed off the Scottage Prince immediately while trying to get livies. Short steep swells made for a wet slow ride with one particularly large swell making it's way over the front of the boat and some coming over the windscreen and inside!

going furthur offshore saw conditions improve slightly but with the rain persisting so Terry and I just trolled for about an hour and a half at 6 knots. Then the wind picked up again and the waves increased in size making it very ugly so we called it a day with Terry getting a 30cm Mack and nothing else caught.

On the way back I could only see the canopy of Terry's boat on occassions as he dropped into a trough, and at least one boat being towed back in as we were coming back through the passage. The rest of Saturday saw constant showers. I burleyed up some Herring at camp off the boat and headed out into the North Channel at the port beacon in line with the port wall and threw the livies out around 12:30. Weather improved and showers held off.

Got smashed after 5 mins and bitten cleanly off on 40lb leader, again 2 other times so put wire on and the bite went off.

Gave up about 4pm and headed back to camp and called it a day due poor weather forecast the next day and showers persisting and me not having anywhere dry to sleep with the boat fully soaked. Said my goodbyes and drove back to brisbane, unpacked and cleaned the boat and went home. Weather radar indicated showers still at Southport so it seems my decision was sound although it was hard to leave the roasting chooks at camp!

It was fantastic to meet everybody in person, everybody was very friendly and made both myself and my deckie, Adam, feel very welcome. A special thanks to Terry for helping us make Mack rigs and guiding me through the very average conditions offshore over the radio and chatting with us over the time at camp. A very generous and friendly bloke with a great son, Jacob.

I hope those who stayed had better conditions today and the fishing improved, as for what I could tell a lot more crabs than fish were caught on Saturday:-)

Cheers guys,

Travis

post-9629-144598762461_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598762477_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598762487_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598762496_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598762506_thumb.jpg

Adam with a balloon out the back with a Herring on it

post-9629-144598762515_thumb.jpg

The new sounder in action. Just playing around but I've never seen fish and bottom before like I do now. Structure scan amazing. Not the best pic though.

post-9629-144598762525_thumb.jpg

post-9629-144598762534_thumb.png

post-9629-144598762903_thumb.png

It was another great wavebreak social.

Friday weather was beautiful; you couldn't ask for much better piss drinking weather than we had. :whistle: We went out Friday afternoon and picked up some livies. after my wife had something run with the bait jig (which I then busted off) we decided to tie on a heavier bait jig and see if something would hit it. Managed to land a striped tuna on it; I was pretty happy with that one as it was my first tuna.

Saturday morning was looking a bit dodgy, then turned into a full scale monsoon. The majority of us stayed under the tarp and complained while a few intrepid souls decided to brave the conditions. My skipper, being smarter than the average bear, decided that he may as well sleep while it rained. I think a lot more people would have followed his lead if their tents hadn't been flooded... Saturday afternoon we went out chasing bird schools and casting slugs with a couple of bust offs but no fish landed. Saturday night followed along the same pattern with Jeremy and I on his boat; Jeremy had a big hit and a nice fight going with a mack tuna as bait. Just as I thought it might be getting close enough to the boat for a shot at it with the gaff, it busted off. A little later, my livie went tearing off on a big run but it managed to spit the hook before I could even give it a go.

This morning turned out to be a lot nicer than we originally thought. I crawled out of the tent somewhere around 0630 to see a few other people stirring around the campsite. I reacquainted myself with the sun as I hadn't seen it for awhile when Jeremy and Mark decided to give outside a try. Mark invited me along and I considered it for all of 5 seconds and hopped on board. It was a bit rough outside, but the wind was pretty light. We watched 2 blokes next to us boat a cobia and several spanish macks before we had our first run. Jeremy gave it a good fight but the wire leader ended up breaking. Shortly thereafter, another rod went off and Tugger handed it to me; we were all hoping for a mackeral but I ended up boating my 2nd ever tuna with another striped. With the swell, the merry-making from the day before, and a general lack of sleep combining to make us feel a bit crook we pulled up our lines and headed back to the camp to pack up and get a move back to Brissy.

As always, it was great to see the old faces and the new. The wanderers socials are always a huge hit and have been one of the highlights of my time here so far; thank you to everybody for making it a great weekend. Additional thanks to Ted, Mark, and Jeremy for taking me out on their boats.

Archived