fiji fishing

rosstralia46

i have looked through alot of previous posts about fishing in fiji but was looking for a bit more info. i am staying sonaisali island and am going to go on a couple of charters. i have searched but cant find any maps on green zones around the island and not sure wat the fishing is like. i am taking a 4000 stradic ( thanks yogorilla) and thinking of matching it with a raider barra spin 5-10kg 2 pc. not sure wat line i should be looking at and will be taking a range of leaders and jig heads plastics poppers divers rings and trebles as well as some spare mono if i get spooled. can anyone give me any tips and wat line should i be looking at

thanks ross

Hi Ross,

For the reel and rod you intend on using, I would be spooling it with a thin diameter braided line. Sunline PE is one that I am using at the moment which is great. this will make the setup as a bit of an allrounder.

Good luck you'll have a blast.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Ross, I've been to Fiji on too many fishing trips to count. The place you are staying at is very close to Viti Levu, which is Fiji's main big Island, its situated south of Nadi, just off the coast. I'm not sure about the specifics of that Island but I can give you my thoughts. Unfortunately you have a couple of issues you may be faced with. Firstly, a lot of those Resort style Islands have no fishing zones all around them, thats not to say this one does too, but its likely. Secondly the waters around that part of the coast are far from the best in Fiji. Being so close to main land Fiji, that part of the coast cops the brunt of the run off from all of the farming and industry etc.. hence the water quality is less than impressive. I have the fortune of being engaged to a Fijian who lives way out on a remote island, so the fishing has always been outstanding. From what I can gather about most Fiji charters, they just fish heavy mono and heavy sinkers for reef fish. Thats about all the stuff I can say from my experiences in Fiji. Fijian people are the friendliest people I've ever met, you'll love it regardless of the fishing. In terms of what to take with you, that just depends, i'd suggest a 6000 size reel and 30lb for an all round combo for throwing plastics and small poppers. If you get out a bit wider you'll need to upgrade to HEAVY gear. Dan

The one and only charter i went on in Fiji was from Nandi/Nadi? Denaru island or something. We trolled lures for Marlin and Tuna. Ended up out near the popular "Cloud Break" surf spot.

We didnt catch anything but since then my mum has been on the same charter twice more and caught tuna, trevally and mahi mahi amongst others

Archived