"3 poddy, 3 strikes, 1 Jack"

hokianga

"3 poddy, 3 strikes, 1 Jack"

Wow, I've just about forgotten what its like to put a post up....

Sooo thankful the water has started to clear the fish are out, and hungry..

Yesterday after work I thought about going down to the main beach to throw in the surf caster and see what was around, hopefully ending my "No Fish Drought", as I'm sure a lot of you have been hoping to do. As luck would have it, it was raining (typical)... wasn't really as pleasant as I hoped it would be, so the beach was put on the back burner...

I got into the driveway after work and noticed the neighbor heading down to the canal with his cast net, hhhmmmm I've never used one so thought I would tag along to see if I might pick up a hint or three on how to throw one....

Got down there and in half an hour had 3 poddy, a couple of herring, and 1 gar..... (him not me... )

He wasn't, gonna use them so I told him I'd take them and give them a go..... Sweet.... I was at the canal, 1/2 hr later and rigging up the first poddy.... In she went, I could see the trevs chasing a multitude of different bait fish around and they weren't mucking around either, smashing the surface, and absolutely terrorizing their little counterparts....

Not even 5 mins and the livey started, packin itself, felt a bit of weight but no strike, line got heavy then slackened, I thought I'd take a quick look, and after winding in from a snag....gggrrrr.... up pops the body, with the head mangalized.... bits and pieces of eyeball, brain, and wotnot were dangling from the intacked lower half....

.....Would anyone know if this was a fish or crab???.....

I took it off put a fresh poddy on, and in she went, again the fish started freaking out and making its way towards one of the pylons, not at a great rate of knots, but with where I was.... I wasn't able to get the right angle on it to bring it away in time, I tried pulling but again it felt stuck, gave it a yank, and blow me down it yanked back.....Put the tension on and tried to haul it out, could feel the braid grinding hard against the pylon and oysters.....ping..... dang it!!!....

I didn't like the way things were going and the amount of line I was losing so decided to go and try another locale... Not as much obstacles, snaggy bits, or oysters.... Only had the one poddy left and had lost the gar and herring after kicking the bucket over while I was having a leak....

Put it on, and thought I would just leave it there to see what happened.... grabbed the other rod and loaded up a bubble pop, to have ago at any trevs in the area, they were there but not looking at anything I threw at them which was a bit of a downer...

After 15 mins decided to check the livey, poor little thing had one of the tail fins chewed off, it had come back in and was hugging the bank.... Threw it out into the current and let him drift out....

Was just in the middle of rolling a smoke when the, head of the rod took a nod, and then another, dropped the smokes grabbed the rod, just in time for it to nod again, gave it a strike but nothing.... Wound it in a bit to feel that heart wrenching line against rock, it was coming but pretty slowly, then from out of nowhere the livey, which was now dead of course pops out halfway up the line not connected to the hook any more..... I thought it strange, but carried on winding not expecting anything, felt the hook stuck on something so gave it a yank.... YOU guessed it, it yanked back..... it zzzzzzzzzz'd a couple of short/hard runs, which certainly felt different to that of a trev that's for sure... Blow me down there it is you beautiful red creature you....flicked it onto the rocks, sat down and stared at it for 10, before packing up and heading off home....

I hope not to anger anyone, but I will be eating it tonight, I've heard from a lot of people that it is supposedly 1 of the top 3 table fish.... so it would be stupid not to try it....

41 cms, not big but healthy.... very easy to gut and scale too...

Cheers Vic

post-9426-144598754526_thumb.jpg

post-9426-144598754539_thumb.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention, they say never put your fingers anywhere near their mouths....

Someone should have mentioned never putting your fingers in their gills either, another lesson learnt the hard way, those are some pretty nasty daggers sitting in there I tell yah... Especially when your shaking your hand around and they are clamped on...ouch :(:(:(

Archived