strange fish

flathead

pict0011ou6.jpg

hey guys went down to the mouth of the Brisbane river with pinky on the weekend we fished under a bridge around some pilons and junks of coral

after a while i felt some bites and jagged up hard then i felt the fish on its started letting out line as the fish ran it took me about 3 mins till i got it in. We didnt no what the hell it was we asked some local and he said it looked like a big bat fish but when i got home i looked it up and it turned out to be a 37 be 17cm southeren butter fish i caught it on a prawn.

i had hooked it through the asshole lol i brought it home to eat though i dnt no if it is safe anyone have any ideas on weather its safe

Admin Note: Please resize your image to be maximum 500 pixels wide and replace the externally hosted image with resized image.

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/07/16 20:42

Hi Flathead,

That is a Scat or a Banded Butterbream.

Often marketed in Qld as John Dory Fillets and is quite good eating fresh and really lousy after it has been frozen.

Watch out for the dorsal spines as they will give you a very painful injury.(also from memory the anal fin has one short sharp spine too)

Redcliffe jetty gets huge schools of them at times and it is not uncommon to get 20 odd fish around the kilo in one cast between the pilons.

Jack.

never NEVER eat this fish if it's caught in a harbour or around ships. It's a very very tasty fish, especially when deep fried, we have a very similar specie called rabbitfish where i come from. My men on our ships used to jag heaps of these buggers when they're running low on food money or when the felt like making some dried fish. Used to catch em on bits of bannana or rice grains too.

However, beware tho.. Just watch a school of them messing around your boat, then get someone to go flush the toilet.. the moment the toilet flushes, the whole school will disappear and dive to you know where for a chance to eat some YOU Know What!!!!

hehehe... :P

bit game taking a fish home without knowing what it is if you ask me.

how could you be sure it was legal size? or that you could even have them in possession.

not having a go, but i was caught a long time ago with an undersize fish that i thought was legal. anyway lets just say the fishery officer did not take ignorance as an excuse.

• 6 months later...

scatophagidae litterally means dung eater they are worth about 15bucks each at about 4cm they are all collected from the wild as they wont breed in tanks if your taking wild fish for comercial sale i believe you need a license but if your selling off the fish in your tank you dont ahem ;)

• 2 months later...

yeh i have, in exchange for other fish or products, you convert them to freshwater(if they arent caught in fresh either from brackish or salt), then you keep them in a tank full of freshwater for a week or so, then try round at different aquariums and see if they are interested, pretty sure you dont need a license i no many people who do the same thing

Archived