When Day Became Night

ONTHECHEW

Planned to take a couple of the boys out this weekend, Plasticfantastic (Mark), Flash1980 (Gordie) and Jewy (Matty) and it will be Gordies last trip offshore in a while as he is moving to mackay to one of the mines. So the pressure was on, left cleveland boat ramp at 4.15 to be met by a glassed out bay, headed out through the bar on first light and off to wet a line. Drifting was very slow to start off with as it was the bottom of the tide and not much current, but cant complain as the action started straight away.

With in the first few casts Mark had already landed a Yellow Fin Tuna, next on the board was Gordie with another nice little YFT both of these guys where using stickbaits whilst Matty was throwing a plastic and I had my popping gear. I hooked up next on another YFT but he stood no chance, poor little fella tried his hardest but with 15kg of drag he wasn't going anywhere, he put up a good (even though very short) fight and then released very very green. Still on the first drift mark decided to get his stickbait lodged into the mouth of a large spaniard that decided to show the its aerial abilities right next to the boat dislodging the lure and almost implanting it into my head :whistle: Next up it was my turn again, still on the first drift, hooked a nice GT, have been trying to hard to catch some of these fresh water vermin ;) and forgot how a real fish pulled :P Still Mark I don't think it is a bad curse to have, was a bit buggered after landing him so had a quick break then mark decided to hook a wahoo on his stickbait and then followed by trying to lodge that lure into gordos head :whistle:

They day followed on like this but not as hot as the first drift, but we did have 2, 3 and 4 way hook ups through out the day, after a while we decided to go down and see how Tugger was going down at THE ROCK, at that stage he had been pretty quiet but obviously his day got a lot better. Tried the group for a quick flick and then up to middle reef, got bitten off by something when jigging my plastic back up. Decided to have one more crack at the YFT's. Started to get a few stripey Tuna as well, Mark lost another good fish, probably GT.

In all of this time with all of this action Matty was still sitting on a donut, finally he hooked onto something, he landed a parrot of about 40cm, next up he hooked onto a nice cod. Finally he was finding some form, next drift amongst the assorted tuna Gordo also picked up a nice cod.

All in all it was a good day out, good to send Gordy out on a high, pitty I couldn't get him a GT. Overall tally was 1 GT, 13 Yellow Fin Tunas, 8 Stripey Tuna, 2 Cod and 1 Parrot. We where going to go and try some deeper marks but there was to much fun to be had where we were.

As usual had to drive back to wonderfull Toowoomba after being in the sun all day and half way back we ran into a big storm front, we went from daylight to total darkness in a matter of minutes, very eerie, looked like one of those alien invasion movies, then it absolutely shat it down.

Already heard Gordie is trying to sell off his deckie spot ;) but I don't think it will be to hard to fill it, cant wait to get out again.

Andrew

GT

post-7753-144598754822_thumb.jpg

Matty's cod

post-7753-14459875483_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598754837_thumb.jpg

Gordo's Cod

post-7753-144598755212_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598755218_thumb.jpg

Sounds like an awesome session mate. Great GT and those two Cod look spectacular. That's a wicked looking popper you got the GT on!!!!

Yeah I was checking the weather as wanted to go try for jewies in the river tonight but saw the rain and lightning was coming our way. Too tired now so going to bed as can't work out which way the lightning is going.

Another good day out with plenty of mayhem, would've been good to boat all the better fish I hooked as i would've ended up with a few Tuna a Spaniard, Wahoo and a good Gt instead I lost them and lost $100 worth of lures in the process but that's fishing. Also dont those little Stripped Tuna go hard, good thing they dont get too much bigger or they'd be a handful on the lighter spinning gear.

Cheers

Mark

Im interested in the tuna also, i stalked you guys at the sevens mid arvo for a while and saw the cod landed. there was interesting action out there.

Nice work getting that many tuna, we chased mack and longtail a long time today for 3 in total and 4 dropped.

With the Cod Matts one was caught on a 6" Gulp wiggle tail grub thing on a 3/4 jighead, Gordo's Cod was caught on a 60gm Lucanus Jig also the Tuna weren't as keen on plastics and were hitting a waxwing which Gordo was throwing around and I was using either a Megabass Or Poi or Maria Loaded stick baits both of which are around 120mm and 50gm. With the stickbait as it hit the water close to the Tuna most of the time it was hit without even having to move it. Awesome fun for small fish.

Cheers

Mark

PilbaraBrad - Yah thinking about a trip to Oman, but can be a bit exy, plenty of monsters of the deep over there just not real sure on the cost.

Sehrguht - Yah we thought it was you but not real sure so didn't want to look stupid and hit you up and it be someone else.

Angus - Think mark has pretty much covered the gear.

Andrew

PilbaraBrad - Yah thinking about a trip to Oman, but can be a bit exy, plenty of monsters of the deep over there just not real sure on the cost.

Sehrguht - Yah we thought it was you but not real sure so didn't want to look stupid and hit you up and it be someone else.

Angus - Think mark has pretty much covered the gear.

Andrew

Excellent just read that thanks!

Angus

Archived